back strap cut, whats the point?

flatyre

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why climb a tree if it can be felled? I would be starting to chip before you reached your tie in.

Because on that tree you could drop the branches in big lumps right next to the chipper and have zero drag, would still be down in an hour. Instead of that you've now got up to 60ish foot? To drag the the branches through a load of now smashed up laurel that also need cleaning up!

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1458909765.815901.jpg.d844b786fbf83273dfdfe2bdfec18a76.jpg

Because on that tree you could drop the branches in big lumps right next to the chipper and have zero drag, would still be down in an hour. Instead of that you've now got up to 60ish foot? To drag the the branches through a load of now smashed up laurel that also need cleaning up!

[ATTACH]201609[/ATTACH]

I disagree, however, what about the considerations?

Cheers rmac.

So wots the dog tooth cut then?

I was sure last time i done my fisa they called the split level cut the dog tooth cut?

But i may be wrong. Not really up on my terminology of cut names

Ps. I thought that too rmac about boring the gub, only time i've ever done it

If they called a 'Split Level cut' a 'Dogs Tooth' they're wrong,

Split Level Cut, the one that allows you to get the felling lever in, used on Backward leaning Trees. Not to be confused with the 'Step Cut' (I frequently said I was doing a Step Cut when what I meant was a Split Level. :blushing:

Dogs Tooth Cut/Back Strap Cut, (all the same cut, different names, called Dogs Tooth Cut in the Lantra CS-31 Workbook) used on forward leaning trees to reduce/prevent a Barbers Chair.

Danish Pie Cut/Double V Cut again same thing, called Double V Cut in the Lantra CS-31 workbook, again used on forward leaning trees to reduce/prevent a Barbers chair.

excuse the title, i'm not rubbishing the cut, I have never used it but recently watched a guy use it and was left wondering why. I'm thinking of giving it a go on the next job which has a selection of straight fells and leaners. But I've just sat through a number of youtube videos of the back strap cut and couldn't see any reason to use it over a standard back cut. If you have cleared you work area and taken up a safe cutting position you should be just as safe? If a tree is going to barbour chair what benefit does the back strap cut offer?

No offence mate but Im really quite gobsmacked as too why you've even asked that...

B]Danish Pie Cut/Double V Cut[/b] again same thing, called Double V Cut in the Lantra CS-31 workbook, again used on forward leaning trees to reduce/prevent a Barbers chair.

Are they ?

Danish pie cut is used for upright or backward leaning trees and allows you to put a lever or wedge in to aid felling before finishing the cut by severing the piece of holding timber

B]Danish Pie Cut/Double V Cut[/b] again same thing, called Double V Cut in the Lantra CS-31 workbook, again used on forward leaning trees to reduce/prevent a Barbers chair.

Are they ?

Danish pie cut is used for upright or backward leaning trees and allows you to put a lever or wedge in to aid felling before finishing the cut by severing the piece of holding timber

My mistake, you're right that the Danish Pie Cut, also known as the Safe Corner method is used to allow a section (corner) of holding wood prior to inserting a wedge and then removing the final corner of holding wood, but according to the Lantra workbook used for upright, forward weighted or backward weighted trees, not sure why the make a distinction between Weightedand Leaning

Edited by R Mac