back strap cut, whats the point?

flatyre

Going to ask a bit of a stupid question here

I see a couple of folk have mentioned a dogs tooth cut (i take it that is the cut where do back cut from both sides so u can put ur breaker bar in) and leaning trees.

I thought they were only for smaller backwards leaning trees so tree does not sit on ur bar and u have no room to get a wedge/bar in plus saw.

That's a split level cut

As being mentioned on a back strap cut thread, do folk use them for forward leaning trees?

I would of thought the side bit left as final cut might be too far round side to stop tree splitting/barbers chairing esp on larger trees

IIRC you bore in and cut back from the hinge to leave 1/5 diameter of the stem uncut at the back then cut the 'strap' from the back at 45deg down to meet the bore cut.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres one some of you may have seen, this guy puts up vids like this to show how good he is at felling!!

https://www.Facebook.com/420942288009041/videos/627799850656616/

I wouldn't let him cut my hedge after seeing the mess he made of that!

He didn't bore in the gob

Saw is blunt as anything

He didn't take the sides off so the but split when it fell

He didn't take the toes off and the stump is really high!

Edited by IanW

Saw is blunt as anything

I thought you only bored in the gob if the diameter was greater than twice the length of the bar so you don't end up with an uncut section in the middle where the bore cuts from each side don't meet, no?

Cheers rmac.

So wots the dog tooth cut then?

I was sure last time i done my fisa they called the split level cut the dog tooth cut?

But i may be wrong. Not really up on my terminology of cut names

Ps. I thought that too rmac about boring the gub, only time i've ever done it

Cheers rmac.

So wots the dog tooth cut then?

I was sure last time i done my fisa they called the split level cut the dog tooth cut?

But i may be wrong. Not really up on my terminology of cut names

Ps. I thought that too rmac about boring the gub, only time i've ever done it

Are you sure you aren't confusing dog tooth with Danish pie? They teach that instead of the split level cut now, I believe. :001_smile:

Now u've really lost me felix:001_smile:

Is there somewhere u can look up all these different names of cuts?

Last time i done my fisa was with a bunch of old woodcutters and was just before it really came in so instructor was keeping it simple

Apologies googled dogstooth cut and it is wot i tought a back strap cut was.

I must have got it muddled up with the split level for back leaners.

Edited by drinksloe

Saw is blunt as anything

Yeah he's properly useless, made a bad name for himself in a few fb groups. That tree had no business being felled in any case imo, could climb and knock it out pretty quickly, not smash up all the bushes and has all the branches/wood next to the chipper

Yeah he's properly useless, made a bad name for himself in a few fb groups. That tree had no business being felled in any case imo, could climb and knock it out pretty quickly, not smash up all the bushes and has all the branches/wood next to the chipper

Why climb a tree if it can be felled? I would be starting to chip before you reached your tie in.

Even if you dismissed the economic & Speed considerations , then you need to look @ your work at height issues. Avoidance is your primary concern & you or your staff should not be exposed to unnecessary risk.

The fibre pull on the stump was avoidable I agree, however the thicker hinge gave a large degree of control.

Not the best example of felling, but it did it's job