Question for all you freelancers... rigging kits

jrose

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, I've got a fairly comprehensive rigging kit, and it doesn't get used that much. Buy it as you need it or give me a bell of your caught out...

Thanks a lot Mark, means a lot mate.

I know sooner or later I will have to get a proper kit, just trying to work out if the expense now would result in more work. I suspect what I'll end up doing is buying a length of lowering rope, and use the xtc just for pulling stems over, trucks out etc.

Then eventually buy a lowering device, and build it up slowly like that then.

Thanks everyone :)

I found, when I was a subby, that if a firm invited you in and you had to use your own rigging kit you are ultimately working for diddys. I quickly got pissed off with having to instruct nuggets on how to use the kit, setting it up so they never have to touch or tie a knot and having to take bits off small so I didn't get shot into orbit. I do enjoy the occasional rodeo ride but there is a time and a place.

Conversely work for a good firm with their own kit and they know how to use it, its a pleasure.

Thanks a lot Mark, means a lot mate.

I know sooner or later I will have to get a proper kit, just trying to work out if the expense now would result in more work. I suspect what I'll end up doing is buying a length of lowering rope, and use the xtc just for pulling stems over, trucks out etc.

Then eventually buy a lowering device, and build it up slowly like that then.

Thanks everyone :)

To be honest mate, the best addition to your setup would be a friction device and dead eye. £150 all in and you've got a pretty decent rigging kit.

Wouldn't block down with it, but apart from that it'll do you fine.

I'm pretty picky about what rigging kit I use and prefer to bring my own.

I have a Hobbs style bollard that has paid it's self off many times over with the advantage of being able to pick and balance big limbs and pre tension big lumps of timber being snatched so you can get that bit more off before you have to dice a stem when over patios ect to pulling or pretension storm damaged tree trunks.That said there is not much you can't do with a portawrap.....pre tensioning you can live with out but you won't want too once using a system that can. A good 16mm double braid and decent pulley with strop and a bollard will see you through most jobs proficiently I would of thought.

Having a rigging kit wouldn't make you any more attractive to me Joe :001_tt2: unless it was a GRCS of course...

It would to someone who doesn't have one, but the sort of people who don't probably aren't up to speed with rigging which as Mr. Bolam says would make for a nightmare day for you.

Slippery slope though, next you'll be after an 880, stump grinder, truck, tracked chipper - oh hang on...

Regards,

Steve.