Epoxy inlays

Big Beech

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I got my resin and glow in the dark powder from a company called Elichem , made john nepia on hear a coffee table , Eli Chem are very helpfull on the phone , some turners I know use super glue mixed with powderd metal etc that seems to work well , good luck post some pics if you do go that way

Cheers Mark

• 3 months later...
Just catching up on this thread again as iam now at the point with my burr Oak table top that before i go any further I need to fill in a crack or two.

I have found this, 1.5kg Low Viscosity Ultra-Clear Epoxy Resin [uV Resistant] | eBay is that suitable? And perhaps being blonde but was mix by weight not volume?how should I mix this?

I got some of the same to fill in some cracks in a bit of beech.

Get 2 cups and weigh it out on some kitchen scales. That's how I done it anyway. A little goes a long way. I mixed up far too much first time and now have a loverly cast of a plastic cup!!!🙈

I do quite alot of this and I use a polyurethane casting resin. But the peices that I do are very small and fit into a pressure pot while they cure so that any air bubbles in the resin and compressed out.

I use various dyes and mica powders to get different effects into the resin, Pearl ex powders are great.

A good friend also does inlaying like this of small coloured logo's into his work, he rout's out the logo then fills it with coloured (dyed) 2 part epoxy.

I do quite alot of this and I use a polyurethane casting resin. But the peices that I do are very small and fit into a pressure pot while they cure so that any air bubbles in the resin and compressed out.

I use various dyes and mica powders to get different effects into the resin, Pearl ex powders are great.

A good friend also does inlaying like this of small coloured logo's into his work, he rout's out the logo then fills it with coloured (dyed) 2 part epoxy.

Is there much cleaning up afterwards as I think this would be great on routed house signs, would a quick plane off leave a smooth surface on the larger area of a sign.

S.

West Systems two part resin is fantastic stuff for filling. Dead easy to use. It takes any sort of filler (metal, glass, dyes etc). Doesn't need a vacuum chamber to get rid of bubbles.

The pics show a sink I carved about a year ago and have been using daily since. You can see the fissures here that are filled with the resin.

I've been using the resin mixed with bronze powder a bit recently. It sands and polishes down to a pretty genuine solid metal finish.

Can't recommend it enough.

sink1.jpg.379d8ebd6ab7b73c5487e04ad812a521.jpg

sink2.jpg.a77eb7a650bddcc0a1ffadede71ac910.jpg