Epoxy inlays

Big Beech

West Systems two part resin is fantastic stuff for filling. Dead easy to use. It takes any sort of filler (metal, glass, dyes etc). Doesn't need a vacuum chamber to get rid of bubbles.

The pics show a sink I carved about a year ago and have been using daily since. You can see the fissures here that are filled with the resin.

I've been using the resin mixed with bronze powder a bit recently. It sands and polishes down to a pretty genuine solid metal finish.

Can't recommend it enough.

Love that sink and would love to make one but wouldn't have a clue where to start with waterproofing the wood

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love that sink and would love to make one but wouldn't have a clue where to start with waterproofing the wood

I used Rustins Plastic Coating. Three good coats with a 0000 wire wool rub down between each.

It's been about a year of pretty standard use and I've recoated once which only took a couple of hours.

Not had any problems at all.

lovely sink. excelent piece. What was it like fitting the sink-drain plumbing?

Thank you! The plumbing was a bit of a challenge but def not a nightmare. It's just the same as doing a standard sink.

I fitted the waste pipe into the sink (basically just a snug fit through the hole with some epoxy) leaving about 30mm wood at the top which I coated with epoxy too.

The waste exit was left about 150mm long, roughly inline with the waste coming out through the wall and then just connected up as normal but without a traditional trap. You'll see in the picture.

Drilling a 40mm hole through about 18 inches of hard elm took a bit of time though. I actually bought a cheap mains drill expecting it to burn out which it did very quickly. So I just used my normal Dewalt mains drill and took it easy. Used an auger.

All the plumbing is hidden within a stud wall at the back. I just hope I never get a burst pipe in there.

sink22.jpg.22ed9fe5e450c7dbcf5fe9f80283b304.jpg