Our own worst enemy?

Gary Prentice

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A site not "correctly "set up as per all the rules and regs are of no interest to the general public , as they neither know or care unless something did go wrong , ( very rare ) then it would be down to experts ... ... it only seems to bother officious H&S types and other contractors !!!..... not saying that this how it should be just the reality of life .... a great deal of effort time and expense is expended to comply but in reality it is only marginally safer than the bare minimum , most is done just to avoid the possibility of being sued rather than genuine concern . for example ... have you ever come across a set of traffic lights out of order ? yet everyone seems to sort them selves out without much trouble ....

Even with the set up we had this week we still had pedestrians walking down the road. And the best was a guy on a moped not wanting to wait at the lights who tried to ride down the pedestrian walk way. I stopped him pretty quickly the knob head!

To set a site up like this I don't think is that expensive in terms of cost for signage as you can factor it in over a few years as an investment in safety. I think I win jobs as I'm not the type of company who says I will drop that tree on a Sunday stopping the traffic when it's not busy. I would always opt for lights etc.

I recently put an advert on a well know arb selling site on facebook advertising that I could get my hands on over 500 pedestrian barriers at around £5-10 each depending on quantities which I think is cheap!

To which I had no replies at all. This all goes to show the people who use the buying and selling site don't see the barriers as a vital tool when working on roads.

Now if I was selling an old ms 200t I would of had countless replies to the ad!

given that the cost of a TM setup is likely to be between £200 and £400 per day hired in and if you own your own stuff you need an additional vehicle to transport it to site its hardl surprising that many don't bother. Imagine all those £300-£500 domestic jobs with those costs added, you're not going to win many.

Its common sense, if the situation requires you need TM then you have to have it, safe in the knowledge that only a real cowboy wouldn't bother. But on residential streets we' will block a lane on the road rather than the pavement, let the traffic find its way round us and keep the pavement clear..

H&S aside, the contractors were inconsiderate. I have often cut footpaths off for short term jobs, which did not merit full TM. However, it is easy enough to help & manage pedestrians with little effort & some vigilance. Common sense really

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

whats wrong with that ,if no tree work was going & it wasnt running !!/. i use the hopper to sit on to have lunch on a nice day some were level for the brew :biggrin:

Obviously nothing if you do it as normal.

I know nothing about it and it I just thought it looked a bit odd him sitting there.😁😁

I just thought it made a professional looking site look bad.