Staff having to leave for emergency.?

benedmonds

Staff home emergency?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Staff home emergency?

• Carry on with work, can sort it at the end of the day.
    • Expect the worker to sort their own transport at their cost.
    • Pay for cab to take them home.
    • Drop everything and drive them home.
    • Other - please elaborate...

I've had a member off here need to leave for a family emergency. As soon as he said I told him to get in the truck and just go. We cracked on and yes it took us a bit longer but in the grand scheme of things, it's only work. Paid him in full for the day too as I see it as swings and roundabouts. He's made me money on multiple sites. This is out of his hands so I'll pay him in full because he intended to finish the job before the news.

In fact this week I had to rush off to the hospital for a family emergency. 2 days I didn't come in and the guys just switched tasks, informed the clients who needed to be switch around and continued as normal.

Personally I feel you've got to be brain dead to not allow someone to rush off for an emergency. If you use it as an excuse to slope off for whatever reason then that's just wrong.

Hi IAN what nice way to put it mate well done thanks Jon 👍👍

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Ian. The other way way to look at it is how much work are you going to get out of a bloke that's worrying about what's going on at home? Just in efficiency terms you're better off letting the guy get whatever is going on sorted out rather then having him on site with his mind elsewhere. Also whatever happened to compassion? Is the bottom line all that really matters?

For some folks without the drive for work, they see every opportunity to stop working. But workers with the correct drive they will complete working, even if it's just continue working tidy up, or go and knock a door advertise more work for you...

There is workers and there is workers...

I'm used to bitter cold winters, so cold so you might think you wont make it.

I'm allergic to folks not doing 100% all the time..

If you suspect you could have got more done then you are possibly correct.

Only the feeling of being happy after work been done is good, otherwise you need workers to say they are sorry and they do better next time.

if not they are not any good.

Might think I'm extreme but it's what Im used to and worked under that rules for many years, and that is my standards..

I say this and I mean it, I work till I die before I give up.

As your boss, after hearing of your situation, I'd of let you go, set you off or drove you to school..

No matter my days loss...

keeping my workers happy pays better dividends than one days loss of income...

And if I found myself driving you home through gritted teeth, I'd have to have a long hard look at myself to see if I was fit for purpose..

That's very easy to say when you are not the employer though I agree with the sentiment.

I'm sure all employers reading this know which staff are genuine and those who aren't

That's very easy to say when you are not the employer though I agree with the sentiment.

I'm sure all employers reading this know which staff are genuine and those who aren't

That's very true but that being the case there isn't much point asking advice or conducting a poll on a forum full of strangers who not only don't know the people involved but don't know the nature of the 'Emergency/emergency'

For some folks without the drive for work, they see every opportunity to stop working. But workers with the correct drive they will complete working, even if it's just continue working tidy up, or go and knock a door advertise more work for you...

There is workers and there is workers...

I'm used to bitter cold winters, so cold so you might think you wont make it.

I'm allergic to folks not doing 100% all the time..

If you suspect you could have got more done then you are possibly correct.

Only the feeling of being happy after work been done is good, otherwise you need workers to say they are sorry and they do better next time.

if not they are not any good.

Might think I'm extreme but it's what Im used to and worked under that rules for many years, and that is my standards..

I say this and I mean it, I work till I die before I give up.

IMHO the likes of you have screwed this country just my "extreme" :001_rolleyes:opinion:001_rolleyes:

If it's a genuine hard working staff member then the first priority is getting them to where they need to be. Work comes second. If that means they leave, ok. If it means they need a lift, fine. If it means the whole job screeches to a halt, well so be it if it's important.

If it's a p*** taker then they shouldn't be on your job anyway. They'll cost you in the long run.

Compliment if I ever saw one, presuming you mean there hard work and determination puts that of many homegrown workers to shame?

Only if you admire folk that force wages down, crawl to employers to the point of being embarrassing and over stress the NHS etc. etc. Oh and you believe all the Benefit street rubbish you are force fed!:lol: