I have a short list of chippers, which one?

Daythe trees

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you find changing the belts on the 160 a pain? Apparently you have to remove the fuel tank. Used them a lot and really like them especially the turntable.

It's only 1 bolt to remove the fuel tank. Changing the belts is a quick job.

I've had a quadchip for 3 years, turn table is brilliant, uses little fuel and 40 hours between blade rotations (120 hours before they need a sharpen). Cracking machines

Did you find changing the belts on the 160 a pain? Apparently you have to remove the fuel tank. Used them a lot and really like them especially the turntable.

That's not true the tanks swing open and you'd be able to do the belts in about an hour nd half but in 400hrs ish never needed to change them.

Blades are realy easy taking about 20min and are incredibly cheep.

Now run a st8 which so far in 140hrs is fantastic.

I will risk commenting based on a conversation Friday past with the 50 year old owner (and still "on the tools") of a very very professional local firm, who keep all their kit in absolutly first class condition, their working trucks are significently cleaner than my only car.

They also continually reinvest in top-rate kit.

Coincidentally they had had a Bandit chipper demoed during the week, and quickly discounted because of the stringy "chips" not infrequently produced (on conifer) unlike their Schliesing, which also packed about 1.75 times the weight into the same volumn, being a modern silage trailer.

So despite the significent cost saving in switching to Bandit, I understand they will be sticking to Schliesing.

I do seem to remember he admitted the Bandit was fast/faster than the comparable HP Schliesing, but, for them the chip quality was definately way inferior.

Edited by difflock

I think that a quadchip will be coming my way. Unless someone throws a proper spanner in the works.

A lot of gubbins packed into a small package. In time the exhaust will leak somewhere along its overly long pipework and the results can be messy. Gets very hot in there, got a pic of it on fire if you want. Borrowed a Forst to finish the job, beautiful. Traditional construction. Only downside, no turntable.

Solidity inevitably suffers with the 750kg limit in Quadchip.