thor log splitter

Breezeblock

37 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

He would have simply gone to hospital , been treated, and recovered.

If you have employees, and one of them gets injured, they can claim off you, and you have to legally inform health and safety. They investigate and will always find fault with the employer.

If you are working for yourself, you have no one to blame  but yourself, you cannot claim of anyone, wont get sick or Injury pay, so why would health and safety be interested?

Every time I’ve mauled myself during work the hospital didn’t care how it happened. No notes on the accident taken or anything. 

19 hours ago, dan blocker said:

I was under the impression even if your a one man band working for financial gain (registered self employed)you are governed by puwer even if your working from home. But what do I know?. I do know one thing- a clown who sells firewood in my area (on the side for cash)modded his splitter and took the end of his finger?. He probably is now part of the statistics for tree/ forestry accidents for 2019/2020 and it all helps support the HSE introducing additional requirements on us such as two ropes when climbing?.

Why did he tell the HSE?................. Oh wait he didn't, you just making up a story to support your theory ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, doobin said:

Every time I’ve mauled myself during work the hospital didn’t care how it happened. No notes on the accident taken or anything. 

I got grinding dust in my eye, the hospital was more interested in where and when it happened than what had happened. They were very interested in it being a workplace injury. I am self employed.

I also have a one handled log splitter 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peasgood said:

I got grinding dust in my eye, the hospital was more interested in where and when it happened than what had happened. They were very interested in it being a workplace injury. I am self employed.

I also have a one handled log splitter 

Years ago, I was doing a huge conifer reduction at a school with a cherry picker. We had a week to complete during half term. Cherry picker was late, then it got stuck, so I was already behind, so in my haste, I didn't put on my chainsaw trousers.

As I was cutting outside the cage, I suddenly, noticed part of my trousers going round  the chain, and I discovered I had sliced a lump of bone out of my shin.

The premises manager arrived just as the ambulance carted me off.

The hospital didn't ask questions, neither did my insurance company or the school.

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

The hospital didn't ask questions, neither did my insurance company or the school.

Lucky, I had a minor mishap, around the turn of the century, first one with a chainsaw in 20 years, whilst felling for a quarry extension. Site manager saw me leaving with a few blood spatters and insisted on filling the accident book. Got a couple of stitches after a very long wait in A&E with nothing said. Next morning, off work, I got told to fill in a RIDDOR form and a couple of weeks later had a visit from HSE. He went through all my gear and PPE and gave me a written warning for having a 6 year old helmet.

Edited by openspaceman

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Lucky, I had a minor mishap, around the turn of the century, first one with a chainsaw in 20 years, whilst felling for a quarry extension. Site manager saw me leaving with a few blood spatters and insisted on filling the accident book. Got a couple of stitches after a very long wait in A&E with nothing said. Next morning, off work, I got told to fill in a RIDDOR form and a couple of weeks later had a visit from HSE. He went through all my gear and PPE and gave me a written warning for having a 6 year old helmet.

Were you working for the site direct, or self employed. If self employed, they had no right to make you do anything

24 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Were you working for the site direct, or self employed. If self employed, they had no right to make you do anything

No, they can stop you and even prosecute you. You do have a duty of care even to yourself.

However they are very unlikely to know, unless you or someone else tells them.

I have had 3 A&E visits for fairly serious injuries, all requiring surgery, I was asked how they happened, I told them at work and never heard a thing from anyone. The first was 25 years ago, the most recent, 18months since. Also had many visits over the years for stuff in my eyes, again not follow up from anyone.

image.jpg.8214d555329b13e4812eae8976969f49.jpg1D3927B7-F903-46DA-83BE-289915BA16EA.thumb.jpeg.cf633fb47e3bd33382b4044b8c53fb70.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Bet that stung.  Ow.

Unless there is some legal obligation on a hospital to inform HSE of workplace injuries along the lines of informing Police of suspected child abuse etc (and I doubt there is any such obligation) surely that hospital would be in breach of patient confidentiality if it did inform.

Thankfully the medical profession's preoccupation is with people's health, not HSE compliance.

Edited by nepia

45 minutes ago, nepia said:

Bet that stung.  Ow.

Unless there is some legal obligation on a hospital to inform HSE of workplace injuries along the lines of informing Police of suspected child abuse etc (and I doubt there is any such obligation) surely that hospital would be in breach of patient confidentiality if it did inform.

Thankfully the medical profession's preoccupation is with people's health, not HSE compliance.

Actually a surgeon will know exactly what a chainsaw cut will look like, oddly. And the average cost of sorting a chainsaw wound is about 30,000 quid, they aint happy abt standing  the cost.  Obvs this os a guide figure but NHS trusts are a bit penny pinchy and if its a work related injury they are entitled to reclaim costs as its A. Avoidable. B. Covered by someone elses insurance.  K