thor log splitter

Breezeblock

This is the same as my old machine and what I'm thinking of getting again just for ease of use to do a few logs each night over the summer and build up a good stock again and for on site stuff when I don't want to tie up the truck to run the other splitter.

Only problem I had was the cables from the handles needed replacing about ever 12month which isn't that expensive but fidderly compared to rods used in this 1 I also looked at.

1450132869061.jpg.546f5a68fbf02bf84cbd5807f4a75c79.jpg

1450132545680.jpg.396dfbedcecd0d3696a10da81538a2a1.jpg

Tbh ive never really hearrd of the thor log splitter let alone seen one so I went on you tube and had a look at some vids and ive got to be honest I wasnt all that impressed, it seemed slow and didmt seem very strong, obviously you can never know how good a machine is without using it yourself. I dont know how much they ars but for a tractor mounted splitter I highly recommend the ktm splitter either 10 or 14 ton and there around 500 quid brand new and in my experience are very simple and reliable. As for petrol splitters oxdale look decent

Tbh ive never really hearrd of the thor log splitter let alone seen one so I went on you tube and had a look at some vids and ive got to be honest I wasnt all that impressed, it seemed slow and didmt seem very strong, obviously you can never know how good a machine is without using it yourself. I dont know how much they ars but for a tractor mounted splitter I highly recommend the ktm splitter either 10 or 14 ton and there around 500 quid brand new and in my experience are very simple and reliable. As for petrol splitters oxdale look decent

minor issue i don't have a tractor

Just had magik 13 kombi pto/electric delivered. Been splitting 1m billets and very pleased so far. Did a lot of research before buying and the safety aspect was a big influence. The vids on YouTube are not great, it's mainly the system around the splitter which dictates the overall speed. Lots of nice features, side lift for big stuff, adjustable return height, two speed down stroke.Very happy so far. Saved several hundred pounds buying from Europe, would prefer to have brought from uk but dealers just too expensive-sorry! Have the table for rings with foot pedal but not used it yet, or the electric . Will report back when I do.

image.jpg.8fe1e9baf1082e5712d8ea1c496f4cb5.jpg

We had the Thor mignon electric and it did brilliantly,after many years of service it became slow,so a friend had it.I replaced it with the Balfor 11 ton electric it's been here over 3 years and seen a lot of wood and still going strong.We think it's the better splitter of the two.

This is the same as my old machine and what I'm thinking of getting again just for ease of use to do a few logs each night over the summer and build up a good stock again and for on site stuff when I don't want to tie up the truck to run the other splitter.

Only problem I had was the cables from the handles needed replacing about ever 12month which isn't that expensive but fidderly compared to rods used in this 1 I also looked at.

I have the electric version of this one and very pleased with it as above about the cables but just feed in a pushbike brake cable inner now very cheap and usually lasts about a season -it must be 10 years old now and still no problems and great for indoor use mine came from michael large it was the first one he brought into the country and had it at a show over here he called in on his way home to give it a real life demo and just bought it there and then

I have the thor 13t magic splitter (petrol engine) and it has been pretty good. I got the 4 way splitter but found it struggles on 1metre lengths and was quicker just to use the single blade. Got it from mlarge who were, and have subsequently been, excellent.

Yeah the 4 way is useless on 1m billets, unless its 8 - 10'' diam. straight ash or sycamore.

Anything bigger it just gets bogged in it, the four way head is literally too wedge shaped.

I do like the 4 way on rings though, really speeds thing up in the 8 -16" range, so long as it not exclusively gnarly twisted beech grain.