Saving wood for wood turners?

swinny

Does anyone save wood for the wood turners?

Ive got some laburnum, yew, plum, apple, magnolia, monkey puzzle etc small diameter up to 12-14"

Ive a cedar to come down next week only 14-16" dia may keep that myself

Im just considering wizzing it on the logs pile for firewood

What do you do?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone save wood for the wood turners?

Ive got some laburnum, yew, plum, apple, magnolia, monkey puzzle etc small diameter up to 12-14"

Ive a cedar to come down next week only 14-16" dia may keep that myself

Im just considering wizzing it on the logs pile for firewood

What do you do?

Translates to....... I've got some timber I'd like to sell, but it's to warm to sell logs.:001_tt2:

I have had mixed experiences. Most of them are hobby types with no budget, one turner on here had an attack of CBA even when offered free timber, I even dropped off a load of air dried timber for one bloke and he couldn't even be bothered to pick up the phone to say thanks. I even have some Taxus that one guy swore blind he was going to collect.

If you are going to get involved make sure its going to be worth your while.

A quick email to the local woodturning club will usually catch a few who would be prepared to pay, we have to get the timber somewhere and I personally like the provenance of getting timber locally rather than off the internet. Also I know the man who done the work is getting the money rather than a shop. You will get more for a turning blank than firewood that's for sure.

Stuart

But how much more will it cost to make it into a blank and how long will it take to sell?

you shouldn't have to make the blank.

personally i am very happy to buy wood it's just that tree surgeons seem to have had such terrible times selling wood to turners that everyone thinks we are all stingy old farts that think they should be given the wood.

i would happily pay double firewood prices and i'll do the cutting into blanks or roughs.

if you have some nice bits i'd advertise it on your local woodturning club website or phone around a few turners.

put up plenty of pics.

you shouldn't have to make the blank.

personally i am very happy to buy wood it's just that tree surgeons seem to have had such terrible times selling wood to turners that everyone thinks we are all stingy old farts that think they should be given the wood.

i would happily pay double firewood prices and i'll do the cutting into blanks or roughs.

if you have some nice bits i'd advertise it on your local woodturning club website or phone around a few turners.

put up plenty of pics.

Same for me, am happy to convert boards to what ever I need, mostly I buy in the round and do the work myself, for hollow forms and bowls it is just a quick wiz with the chainsaw and off you go. However some turners do want perfectly round, seasoned labeled blanks, for those they can go to the shop and pay a premium.....

Not any more. The last visitor spent 2 hours of my time (and a JCB loader) going through the log pile. Very happy with his finds but begrudged paying the few quid that it was worth as (wholesale) firewood. A total waste of time and effort in the extreme. Never again.