Buying a D40 Navara, what to look out for?

karlton

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just about to get rid of mine. Had it from new (11 plate). It was into the garage 29 times in it's 3 year warranty period, having had huge amounts of work done. The irony is that since it came out of warranty, it's been fine!

So, if anyone wants an 11 plate Navara with 79500 on the clock, good condition, Truckman back, nearly new BF Goodrich ATs, tow bar, load liner and reversing sensors for £7500 plus the VAT, I'm your man!

Hate mine with a passion (D40 '58 plate) and done 52,000 miles in seven years. Had it from new and the worst vehicle I've ever owned. An endless list of faults and breakdowns and that was before I started working it.

The only reason it qualifies as a commercial is that it's payload is 5kg over the requirement - it's not commercial at all.

Since fitting mud terrains the fuel economy has gone from 25 to 21mpg.

Should've bought the Hilux.

Regards,

Steve.

I've had 2 from new, great trucks and am seriously considering another before the new model comes out. 4wd switches can be problematic but is an easy fix - just because a fault light is on doesn't mean the 4wd system and high and low range aren't working by the way. My only complaint is that first and reverse are a bit high for really heavy towing (the real reason people have experienced clutch problems IMO) but legally you shouldn't be pulling anything that will stress them anyway (even though they are very willing if required...).

If you listened to every horror story out there regarding motors you wouldn't buy anything.

I think it's a case of getting your facts absolutely clear and taking most things written on the net with a pinch of salt!

Your quite right Scott. You wouldn't buy anything if you listened to all the horror stories. The ones I was talking about were a 2007 with serious clutch and half shaft problems and a 2005 with engine problems.

I have an l200 and have heard loads of bad press about them, but mines a 2004 and I'd buy another. Been just as reliable as my old hilux.

I had a D40 Navara on a 07 plate. I was the second owner previous owner was a lease company. Got it a 50k and ran it to 110k. It was a lovely drive and i generally liked using it. Downside was the number of things that went wrong with it.

It ate front brake discs like they were going out of fashion.

The front propshaft UJ went both ends.

Then they went again, but changed them to greasable ones and then they were ok.

Transfer box seals went twice with water ingress into the box.

Turbo went at about 100,000ish

Fuel rail and injection pump was on its way out.

Had this weird fault nobody could discover what caused it to stall and stall again when you started it in the rain sometimes.

Oh the heater got worse and worse - think the fan bearing was going as well.

Alternator bearing went.

Maybe a leak from the rocker covers but could have been the turbo throwing oil.

4wd sensors went two or three times.

Despite my bad experience i looked at getting another one as i like them. Because they were the UK best selling pick up 4 or 5 years in a row you hear a lot of bad things about them just on numbers out there.

I got a duffer no doubt about it but i know people who have had one problem free. Few people with a new clutch.