Pricing big Elm

Highland Forestry

Having done a few big elms, I can tell that is one Ginormous tree...

I reckon even moving quickly in the crown it will take you a day to strip it, without any roping. I should'nt bother touching the brash - even offer a slight discount to leave it where it lies, apart from clearing the road.

Allow another day to put the timber on the floor, But it would be absolute sacrilige to log it - I have had over £12 a cube for good elm....

Funny enough my first impression price was £1600

I really wish I had taken somebody with me to stand next to the tree for an idea of scale.... it is one hell of a big tree.

The estate are actually selling soe of thier standing Elms to a hardwood merchant but for some reason they want this one dismantled...

I've put in my quotation that we will take the chip off-site and dump at thier farm for no additional charge as it is in the lairds garden and I really don't want to leave a mess because I dont think it would give him the right impression. I've also put in the quote that if it is required to be logged for firewood then there will be an additional charge.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are ringing it up, fell the stem on top of bearers and a big tarpolin as there will be millions of sawdust and its so much easier and quicker to tidy up rather than try and rake the grass.

looks like a good job though mate £1100

1 day with help and 2 days myself :001_smile:

If you are ringing it up, fell the stem on top of bearers and a big tarpolin as there will be millions of sawdust and its so much easier and quicker to tidy up rather than try and rake the grass.

has anyone here ever tried clearing sawdust from a lawn with a brush ?? we use the brushes like the ones that road sweeping blokes use . i find that it is much better than using a rake and blower . or am i the only mad one doing things like this on here :scared1:

If you really want an easy way of clearing sawdust off a lawn, use a collector mower.

Personally, I use a large Hiab, and that stops me making it in the first place. If a client wants everything logging for firewood, then its up to them to sweep the sawdust up afterward. I'm a logger, not a greenkeeper.

How much help? you do appreciate to ring a stem like that up would produce a 3.5t truck load of saw dust if not more amongst the rest of the dross. You'd have to put bearers down for the whole length of the stem otherwise it'll just bury the few into the ground. Ringing up that Elm on your own would be one long hard slog.

I'd go with Ed do everything you can to avoid ringing that stem up or any of it. Unless they want to pay extra.

Im with gibbon, I recon it could be done easlily in a day and I would be happy with £600 unless i really have the whole thing out of proportion? but using the phone box for scale im pretty sure that road side could be rigged out in 3 hours max with a good crew i would say about 2 and the rest of the crown in under an hour another hour for the timber,3 hours for the chipping....or am i completly insane?

well one thing i have learnt is never price a job by photos so maybe i did get highlands price completely wrong! last time i did pricing over photos was this spring and that was with an ash tree at kew village...looking at the tom tom i could see where i was heading too and driving over kew bridge to my horror the only ash tree i could see was this huge thing towering over big gorgian houses....no worries i thought as it was only in for a 25% thin .....turns out the people thought thinning was reducing and half the tree was under a glass conservatory and slate roofs! one of the worst jobs i have done this year! ended up reducing 15-20% and expecting a very late finish but really went for it, but we were still finished at 4 just missed the rush hour traffic and made £600 for two men so all was well apart from the massive stress of getting a job that should of been a breeze completly wrong, im just glad i put a rigging kit in that morning just in case!

£1500 / £ 1700 It will be 2 hard days if not 3 . The thought of raking up all that sawdust is making me feel ill . Like the guys say big big tarp .You want to make a good impression take your time and more work will follow :thumbup1:. All the best . I love my 088 , 48 inch bar :drool: . This job commands decent money if you intend to buy or use an 088 . I always put the price of a new chain on a decent fell .:001_cool: