Pricing big Elm

Highland Forestry

i would leave the bottom big bit and get lairdy to get one of the carrbridge carvers to make him an eagle. i wouldnt bother chipping it, zip line it all into a huge pile, and fell the stems onto the brash. i bet the tight old laird will have a heart attack if you mentioned 200 quid lol

i

:w00t: wonder what he'll do when I mention 2k!

I wouldnt mind having the timber myself for firewood, but am told elm is a nightmare to split so I'm happy enough to leave it for the estate..

Theres some nice burrs on it which will have to come my way I think.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the ticket, get someone in to mill it. There'll be half a days work just cutting that timber up even with your 880. I'd put 2 days on it day 1 all brash and limbs off, day 2 fell the rest, ring it and remember there will be about 3 cube of sawdust if you ring all that up.

£1200:thumbup1:

That is a damned good point.... I hadent even considered that... Could have a go at persuading them to have it sawn on-site for planks or something

Aye id mention it mate, Have a word with them and get Rob D up to work his magic with the mills, Sling the tree owner a nice table and they'll be made up :thumbup1:

It's a commercial job for a management company and I doubt if anyone else is quoting for it..... we're not busy at the moment, barely ticking over just waiting for all the jobs we've quoted to come in..

Figure that first popped into my head as I walked up to it was £1700

I don't think your to far out especially as you've seen the tree in real life, if your not that busy your certainly not going to lose money on that price. Also jobs like that where your the only one quoting aren't worth losing as there will always be more of them if you tread carefully.

Always difficult when your leaving the final clear up for someone else, who is supposed raking up the sawdust and filling in any divets.....

I normally find my first guess is the one I should have gone with.

R

Aye id mention it mate, Have a word with them and get Rob D up to work his magic with the mills, Sling the tree owner a nice table and they'll be made up :thumbup1:

If they can move the wood in large lumps somewhere I'll come up and mill it sometime next year (beginning summer) and make them a huuuuggge table with matching benches. Anything over a foot is milling territory. :001_smile:

Save you having to ring it - just the moving it may be a pain...

That would make one hell of a table! lol

Moving it could be a problem, but then again it's right next to the access road for the lairds house so a lorry and hiab would have no problems at all...

I'll see what they say on Tuesday... I'm going over to the Isle of Rhum tomorrow to quote another job while you lot down south are having your bank holliday monday!

Having done a few big elms, I can tell that is one Ginormous tree...

I reckon even moving quickly in the crown it will take you a day to strip it, without any roping. I should'nt bother touching the brash - even offer a slight discount to leave it where it lies, apart from clearing the road.

Allow another day to put the timber on the floor, But it would be absolute sacrilige to log it - I have had over £12 a cube for good elm....

Funny enough my first impression price was £1600