Dont you hate it when...

minty

1 hour ago, Ben Pinnick said:

Only 50 years? Id send it back.

I was given 20 litres of cream from a closing restaurant back at the start of lockdown part 1, I turned 18 litres of it into butter before it died. It was on max power for too long, they are a solid unit and well-built, but they are still a domestic bit of kit, not professional. 

Still, definitely user error and not the machine's fault. 

Hate it when "someone" driving the crane, with only one log to extract from a garden, twats the phone line and I get the privilege of waiting on site til the boss comes so we can fix it, while "someone" heads home! And when it's done I've still got an hour drive back home in a tractor

I spent a couple of hours yesterday taking the bread maker apart, in order to replace what I thought was simply a broken drive belt. I almost had to disassemble the whole thing, just because it had been made and put together in a stupid way. It would have been so easy to just have the baseplate screwed on to allow easy access to the belt.
Highly likely I'd say, that it was an intentional design decision by the manufacturers to force people to buy a complete new machine rather than spend a £fiver on a belt. Pisses me off, it just encourages the throwaway consumer culture that's ruining everything, such a waste of money and resources, it shouldn't be allowed.

Had the same issue with a less than year old Siemens dishwasher. A rat had gotten in and chewed some kitchen wiring and the dishwasher outflow/wastewater pipe. Because of the washers outer surface not being smooth enough to slip a large enough replacement pipe over it, it required a genuine replacement new part. Knew it couldn’t be covered under warranty so did the job myself. The original part was obviously a part of the early build as near enough the entire machine needed disassembled to fit the replacement part into its hidden compartment.
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2022 at 09:04, sime42 said:

I spent a couple of hours yesterday taking the bread maker apart, in order to replace what I thought was simply a broken drive belt. I almost had to disassemble the whole thing, just because it had been made and put together in a stupid way. It would have been so easy to just have the baseplate screwed on to allow easy access to the belt.

Highly likely I'd say, that it was an intentional design decision by the manufacturers to force people to buy a complete new machine rather than spend a £fiver on a belt. Pisses me off, it just encourages the throwaway consumer culture that's ruining everything, such a waste of money and resources, it shouldn't be allowed.

All I can add is that you've obviously never had the privilege of owning a Countax ride on mower - masterclass in (deliberately???) complicated design !!!!

• Like 2

All I can add is that you've obviously never had the privilege of owning a Countax ride on mower - masterclass in (deliberately???) complicated design !!!!
I've not, so thanks for the tip. If I'm ever in the market for a ride on mower I'll avoid Countax!

Recently fixed the tumble dryer - it had sludge in the bottom of some sort of small open tank at the back so the machine thought the main catchment tank was full and then fitted new batteries in two electric toothbrushes. Why the batteries aren't normal rechargeable ones defies me but fixed the things and should be good for a few years more.

I always wonder how much kit gets thrown away because of simple faults. One solution is to triple the price of "Stuff" ....that should put us back to the 1950-70s and should sort it!

Recently fixed the tumble dryer - it had sludge in the bottom of some sort of small open tank at the back so the machine thought the main catchment tank was full and then fitted new batteries in two electric toothbrushes. Why the batteries aren't normal rechargeable ones defies me but fixed the things and should be good for a few years more.
I always wonder how much kit gets thrown away because of simple faults. One solution is to triple the price of "Stuff" ....that should put us back to the 1950-70s and should sort it!

Agreed. I'm firmly of the opinion that most "stuff" is far too cheap these days.
  • Like 1

Last major white good purchase we went for Miele based on the expected working life of 20 years. The well reviewed one had an expected lifespan of just 7 years. Time will tell if the extra upfront costs was money well spent,

Thing is our whole system is based on endless growth which requires ever more spending. Making goods that last and/or are repairable will not aid growth so is not encouraged. 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 4