Vermeer SC30TX grinder

David Cropper

Does it have "Auto Sweep"??

When I first got my 252 I was very disappointed, but then I disconnected the "Auto Sweep" this transformed the machine, takes more skill and effort to use, but massively increases production, IME.

I don't think Ive ever seen a 252 with the auto sweep still connected! :biggrin:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Stu and Mick. The French clients that I have worked for have all excepted my quotes, no problem, it's getting the clients in the first place. I get passed a few from Darren of VTS and a couple of other lads I work with, plus pick a few up from word of mouth but my main client base is Brits and Dutch.

I speak decent French having hunted with a pack of Harriers for 6 years, being the only Brit in the pack made sure I had to learn and fast, so the language doesn't hold me back.

Agreed, much easier to sell grinding when you're in front of the client having just taken down their tree.

Chance a contract grinding for another company so a mid range machine would suit it, the Hb20 would do it perfectly but considering if I send someone else would they be as productive as I am with it.

No and they would tip it over

Hi Jesse. I always my homework before I buy anything major and the only real moan about the Vermeer on an American forum was that it was a blatant copy of the Toro. Plus being made by Vermeer I assumed that I couldn't go wrong with a big name brand. I know that whatever brand is used you will have it's supporters and opponents, this is a bit of a downer I must admit. I didn't use it today, I was brushcutting, but will do tomorrow and give my opinions then.

Skyhook ,yes it does have auto sweep, I saw on a previous thread from 2011, I think that you say disconnect it. I will keep going as it is now but will try your idea if it is still underpowered. I think that seeing as this is the first hydraulic grinder I have used, I will have to adjust my way of using it. I still think that I am trying it as I would the 450, sheer brute force.

The Predator has nearly crippled me in the knee joints, I am not exaggerating. Darren Shepherd met me yesterday and saw what a bad state my knees are in. That's why I went for a machine that would keep me going without putting me off the road.

Agreed, much easier to sell grinding when you're in front of the client having just taken down their tree.

Ah, there lies the key to selling the service.

Obviously most of the stumps we do are our own which is why we have such a high takeup rate.

Perhaps offering other businesses a commission or the idea that they can make a margin on your service might encourage things...?

Ty

Although I am not familiar with the Vermeer it is true you have to adapt the way in which you grind with an hydraulic grinder. It is true there is a power loss but this is far outweighed by numerous other benefits, with a pedestrian grinder you are controlling the speed in which you grind as well as the depth you grind to, the slew action needs to be slower with the hydraulic grinders but you can still take a fair cut.

I have customers who purchased these type of grinders years ago now & would never go back to a belt grinder, once you get use to it, it may well seem different. If not I will come to the rescue.

Stu, I always offer grinding as an option/service. Dave always gets the job. Likewise if he is out on other jobs and gets asked about trees, it comes my way.

We have a very loyal gentleman's agreement.

We could rip each other off for a few hundred euro but it would lose us thousands in a year to break that trust/bond.

Dean that is awsome service for a potentially new client.