Tory Right to buy policy any thoughts?

egnsean

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they see it as a way for the Tories to steal a few of the Labour votes - and hang the consequences.

As long as the buyers can last a few years without defaulting it will all fall apart under a different Govt. and the bankers will win again, selling defaulted houses at auction for cash to their chums.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss!

I have worked all my life, struggled with bills etc when the going was rough, but have survived, and still got a few years yet of paying the mortgage of my house which i had to pay full market value for.

How can it be fair that social housing tenants can now buy their rented house for just 30% of the market value. I just dont understand the meaning of it.

Going by that notion would i be in the right to expect my bank to return overpaid mortgage payments.

I understand the need to help people onto the property ladder, but this in my mind is just another kick in the teeth to people that work hard to have what they have and to of had to pay full price for.

I have worked all my life, struggled with bills etc when the going was rough, but have survived, and still got a few years yet of paying the mortgage of my house which i had to pay full market value for.

How can it be fair that social housing tenants can now buy their rented house for just 30% of the market value. I just dont understand the meaning of it.

Going by that notion would i be in the right to expect my bank to return overpaid mortgage payments.

I understand the need to help people onto the property ladder, but this in my mind is just another kick in the teeth to people that work hard to have what they have and to of had to pay full price for.

Its upto 30% discount.

I was born into a council house and on saying that I have never agreed with selling them unless new stock was built to replace them, which of course never happened.

I did not know that the right to buy had been abolished.

Its upto 30% discount.

I was born into a council house and on saying that I have never agreed with selling them unless new stock was built to replace them, which of course never happened.

I did not know that the right to buy had been abolished.

That isn't how I read it. 35% discount if you've lived in the house for 3 year, rising by 1% for every year they have lived in the house, so if someone has lived in a HA house for 13 years they would be due a 45% discount.

That isn't how I read it. 35% discount if you've lived in the house for 3 year, rising by 1% for every year they have lived in the house, so if someone has lived in a HA house for 13 years they would be due a 45% discount.

I was using figures back from maggies days, didn't agree with it then for the reasons i stated and still don't, and if your figures are correct then it is utter madness just to get a few votes.

If Maggie hadn't done the same in the 80s we wouldn't be so short of social housing now. Bad idea imo.

Simple & to the point.

Just a vain attempt to score points with the "working man"

Who will fund the building of the replacement homes? Local authorities, or the housing associations who already had to sell properties at a loss?

Elections are fought on promises.

Voters vote based on opinions.

Economic pressure dictates the subsequent reality - which usually leads to disapointment.

Is it any wonder politicians never answer questions with a straight answer.