• UKIP
    • SNP (Scottish National Party)
    • Plaid Cymru (Wales)
    • Not voting.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think the latest proposals about allowing people to give houses worth up to a million pounds to their children tax-free is bordering on the obscene with the way things are at the moment with Public Sector workers pay rises limited to 1% etc. TBH most people in that situation can get round the inheritance tax issue quite legally,so why have the Tories shot themselves in the foot? :confused1:

I just think the latest proposals about allowing people to give houses worth up to a million pounds to their children tax-free is bordering on the obscene with the way things are at the moment with Public Sector workers pay rises limited to 1% etc. TBH most people in that situation can get round the inheritance tax issue quite legally,so why have the Tories shot themselves in the foot? :confused1:

I see what you are saying but I think that it should only be a tax on capital gains on properties with inflation stripped out as people paid tax on their earnings to buy these things in the first place, as for savings they are taxed at source all the way along so they should be left alone. My wife is a teacher and had no pay rise for years ( a pay cut if you add inflation) I just think that people who have saved money and bought property paying taxes along the way should be allowed to pass on their money as they choose with the tax man having his cut.

I see what you are saying but I think that it should only be a tax on capital gains on properties with inflation stripped out as people paid tax on their earnings to buy these things in the first place, as for savings they are taxed at source all the way along so they should be left alone. My wife is a teacher and had no pay rise for years ( a pay cut if you add inflation) I just think that people who have saved money and bought property paying taxes along the way should be allowed to pass on their money as they choose with the tax man having his cut.

Wouldn't that be nice!

When my mum became ill she sold her house and put the money in a pension fund. This was all good until she needed full time care, guess what...... The state 'came looking' for me and my brother wanting to know where the money was, of course we told them where to go!, after many letters between us, 'they' left us alone. If that money would have been 'banked' it would all have been taken by the state....... Is that fair? Mum and dad worked from the age of fourteen, dad missed a bit of work because he had to go to War!..... This country and some people on here really do take the piss!

Wouldn't that be nice!

When my mum became ill she sold her house and put the money in a pension fund. This was all good until she needed full time care, guess what...... The state 'came looking' for me and my brother wanting to know where the money was, of course we told them where to go!, after many letters between us, 'they' left us alone. If that money would have been 'banked' it would all have been taken by the state....... Is that fair? Mum and dad worked from the age of fourteen, dad missed a bit of work because he had to go to War!..... This country and some people on here really do take the piss!

Yep, they worled hard & saved / invested their money, so what right has anyone to take a penny of it at a later date, it should be theirs to do with as they chose without paying again, period.

Another family who might have piss*d it all up the wall, then claim off the system when they get infirm won't have to pay a penny!

What sort of long term plan does this encourage... & people saying it is obscene to give to your offspring don't have a clue what they are on about.:001_rolleyes:

Totally agree with Eggs on the inheritance thing, you work hard all your life and pay all your taxes, you buy a home with whats left and then when you die they ask for a massive chunk of it. I'd rather pay more income tax and abolish inheritance tax all together, its morally repugnant.

Regarding the NHS, sadly it suffers from the same problem as all other state run concerns, which is simply that the wage structure, leads to massive waste and over spending.

It works like this: In a normal private business like mine or yours we pay each employee according to what they are worth and what we can afford. In state run concerns it is very different: after years of union pressure all employees are paid according to a strict pay structure, with bands and levels within these bands, wage increases are given as a result of non meritocratic factors such as time served and the number of people you manage etc.

So if you manage 3 people you may be band B, but if you manage 5 you will automatically become band C. So its now strongly in your interest to have another two people working under you. So you go to your manager and make the case for more staff, he too gets a pay rise as when you move to band C he will need to move from band C to band D, as its hardly fair for him to manage you when you are on the same salary. So he is happy to approve your request. And so it goes on, and it does go on, in every council, hospital, and government body in the land. This explains the proliferation of middle management in the NHS.

I would never advocate the privatisation of the NHS, but I do think that there is a lot of room for slimming in a lot of other government services. In local government for example I would have no blue collar workers. None. Many of us do local authority work, and theres no reason why we couldn't do more, not just trees, but roads, parks and many other services. it would save billions on a national scale.

:thumbup:

Totally agree with Eggs on the inheritance thing, you work hard all your life and pay all your taxes, you buy a home with whats left and then when you die they ask for a massive chunk of it. I'd rather pay more income tax and abolish inheritance tax all together, its morally repugnant.

Regarding the NHS, sadly it suffers from the same problem as all other state run concerns, which is simply that the wage structure, leads to massive waste and over spending.

It works like this: In a normal private business like mine or yours we pay each employee according to what they are worth and what we can afford. In state run concerns it is very different: after years of union pressure all employees are paid according to a strict pay structure, with bands and levels within these bands, wage increases are given as a result of non meritocratic factors such as time served and the number of people you manage etc.

So if you manage 3 people you may be band B, but if you manage 5 you will automatically become band C. So its now strongly in your interest to have another two people working under you. So you go to your manager and make the case for more staff, he too gets a pay rise as when you move to band C he will need to move from band C to band D, as its hardly fair for him to manage you when you are on the same salary. So he is happy to approve your request. And so it goes on, and it does go on, in every council, hospital, and government body in the land. This explains the proliferation of middle management in the NHS.

I would never advocate the privatisation of the NHS, but I do think that there is a lot of room for slimming in a lot of other government services. In local government for example I would have no blue collar workers. None. Many of us do local authority work, and theres no reason why we couldn't do more, not just trees, but roads, parks and many other services. it would save billions on a national scale.

:thumbup::thumbup: