"Pre-97 Driving License required" - when will this stop?

paradise

Big difference between pre 97 C1,E given on the old car license when B was passed and passing C1,E is you are only allowed to drive 8250kg combined,instead of the 12000kg.

A 7.5 tonner and big chipper will put you over on the old licence.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big difference between pre 97 C1,E given on the old car license when B was passed and passing C1,E is you are only allowed to drive 8250kg combined,instead of the 12000kg.

A 7.5 tonner and big chipper will put you over on the old license.

NO!!, I have the old "paper license" I have the 12000kg :closedeyes:

This is copied and pasted from the DVLA,

Medium sized vehicles, with or without trailers

Category

Description

Minimum age

C1

Vehicles weighing between 3,500 kg and 7,500 kg, with or without a trailer - weighing no more than 750 kg

18*

C1+E

As category C1 but with a trailer weighing more than 750 kg. The total weight of the vehicle and the trailer together can’t weigh more than 12,000 kg. The weight of the trailer, when fully loaded, can’t weigh more than the unladen weight of the vehicle

21*, **, ***

*Age 17 if you are a member of the armed services.

**Age 18 if you got your driving licence before 10 September 2009 and the weight of the vehicle and trailer together is under 7,500 kilograms.

***You can drive C1+E category vehicles at age 18 if one of the following apply:

you passed your driving test and Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC) initial qualification

you are learning to drive or taking a driving test for this category or Driver CPC initial qualification

you are taking a national vocational training course to get a Driver CPC initial qualification

you had your driving licence before 10 September 2009

Example of category C1+E: A vehicle with an unladen weight of 6,000kg and a maximum weight of 7,500kg pulling a fully loaded trailer with a weight of 4,500kg – total weight 12,000kg.

Note: If you passed your category B (car) test before 1 January 1997 you would also have had the entitlement to drive C1+E vehicles. However you can only drive a vehicle and tow a trailer where the total weight of both is no more than 8,250 kg.

The old paper licence says it on it but the regulations say different don't be suprised if one day in the future you get an anally retentive cop who wants to inforce it ,remember ignorance is not excepted in court for an excuse.....for not knowing the law....

:bored:

i think its a flipping joke (i will moderate my true views on it), so it why bother with B or C+E, i can go and get a fast trac or mog and start raging round the road network at high speed with no more than a normal driving license with an artic dolly and 40ft trailer, i can get on and drive a combine on the road with yep just a normal license, this law is stupid, and serves only to generate more pointless training.

on the flip side in 30years it mean there will be very few caravans clogging the road network up

Is there an upper limit of tonnes you can tow using an MB Trac with a normal pre 97 license. I have seen in Germany double four wheel trailers pulled by MB Tracs but I always thought that configuration was illegal here.

i think there is an upper limit, but its pretty high i think its something like 25ton total train weight, i know i have exceeded this on several occasions with some big kit eg 300+hp tractors on 40kph gearboxes and big cultivation set ups on the back (not going into the laws relating to road speeds and brake configurations), and this was when i was a student, I have also run rigid six wheel lorries on the road as they were ag registered and therefore not requiring the same licensing as if they were classed as what ever HGV class as,

you can tow double trailer set ups but i think its only when they are empty eg two silage or grain trailers although i dare say someone else will confirm this

but im not bitter i can tow a 6ftx4ft 750kg trailer behind my defender130, thanks uk license makers,

i think there is an upper limit, but its pretty high i think its something like 25ton total train weight, i know i have exceeded this on several occasions with some big kit eg 300+hp tractors on 40kph gearboxes and big cultivation set ups on the back (not going into the laws relating to road speeds and brake configurations), and this was when i was a student, I have also run rigid six wheel lorries on the road as they were ag registered and therefore not requiring the same licensing as if they were classed as what ever HGV class as,

you can tow double trailer set ups but i think its only when they are empty eg two silage or grain trailers although i dare say someone else will confirm this

but im not bitter i can tow a 6ftx4ft 750kg trailer behind my defender130, thanks uk license makers,

you can double tow with the first trailer loaded and the second empty. when i used to go dung spreading i would tow a 13 tonner on a beaver tail low loader and a 12 ton dung spreader behind that.