"Pre-97 Driving License required" - when will this stop?

paradise

I don't think they've changed it, only did mine last year, it's an off road manouvres section followed by a drive round and about the place. Pretty much the same as a HGV test.

Only bugger is I can't tow anything over 750kg behind anything bigger than a 3.5t vehicle, shoud really have gone full artic but needed doing a bit before i did it......

R

That's incorrect mate on a standard driving licence 'Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM'.

therefore if you have B+E

'Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. I' order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.' therefore a 3.5 ton trannie can tow a 3 ton trailer if you wish. this info is of the dvla website. I was lucky and got mine through work and it's been a big bonus

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they've changed it, only did mine last year, it's an off road manouvres section followed by a drive round and about the place. Pretty much the same as a HGV test.

Only bugger is I can't tow anything over 750kg behind anything bigger than a 3.5t vehicle, shoud really have gone full artic but needed doing a bit before i did it......

R

That's incorrect mate on a standard driving licence 'Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM'.

therefore if you have B+E

'Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. I' order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.' therefore a 3.5 ton trannie can tow a 3 ton trailer if you wish. this info is of the dvla website. I was lucky and got mine through work and it's been a big bonus

I think you missed the point, vehicles over 3.5 tonnes, ie cat C1. Even if you hold B+E you still cant tow over 750kg on the old C1 entitlement, and if you have a post 97 licence and take C1 as a seperate category, you can tow anything with your C1.