"Pre-97 Driving License required" - when will this stop?

paradise

As someone who got my Driving License after 1997 it is very disheartening to see this as a standard requirement for many jobs in the arb industry. And I think some of the bigger companies (who can well afford the training) are the most guilty of it. At some point surely employers are going to have to accept they can't specify this any more - I mean, there's obviously a steadily diminishing pool of people with a pre-97 license, and the 7.5 tonne + trailer is too expensive for individuals to get themselves. But it seems a lot of employers will only change when forced to.

I've even wondered if there would be grounds for an age discrimination claim in there:

"Indirect Discrimination – this applies where an employer imposes or operates (and cannot ‘objectively justify’) a provision, criteria or practice which puts people of a particular age or age group at a disadvantage. "

UK Age Discrimination Act

I'm not saying I would take it to court and argue endlessly about whether employers can 'objectively justify' the requirement, but I'd probably cheer from the sidelines if someone else did.

Of course I understand the business case for specifying it - why not reduce your training costs as much as possible? But a lot of people under 30 must be getting seriously pissed off with seeing it, and it doesn't say much about the willingness of the company to invest in younger people.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive done my trailer test, Obviously solved this problem, My employer at the time paid for mine, which was handy but if its gonna be the difference between getting a job or not id put myself threw it, Think its around the £350 mark and i did mine in 2 days and to be honest its pretty simple.

We put three of our guys through it . recently £1200 + wages + loss of turnover for a week JOY !!!

you may feel somewhat at a disadvantage. however I can see a reason behind it . not too sure it works as it was designed due to other Eu drivers ability to come over & drive on Uk roads but you should find you learn from your course

I’ve just been recruiting for a new post and this time I’ve stipulated that the ‘pre ’97 license’ / C1 +E is essential. (last time we recruited it was listed as desirable). I’ve been speaking to all the local colleges round my area and stressing how important this ‘qualification’ is and will be in the future. They need to include this in their syllabus for all Arb students in my opinion.

Employers need people who can tow a big chipper – Simples.

More info - http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/6496-towing-restrictions.html

Edited by John Hancock

i think its a flipping joke (i will moderate my true views on it), so it why bother with B or C+E, i can go and get a fast trac or mog and start raging round the road network at high speed with no more than a normal driving license with an artic dolly and 40ft trailer, i can get on and drive a combine on the road with yep just a normal license, this law is stupid, and serves only to generate more pointless training.

on the flip side in 30years it mean there will be very few caravans clogging the road network up