Anyone use vented bags for seasoning, storage and delivery?

farmer_ben

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought cubic meter bags from this firm they were made to order and only about £5 and probably the best I've used to date.

Also I was running about an hour late to collect them but the manager was happy to stay behind on a Friday, so good customer service too

Location | Dundee Bulk Bags | Bulkbag Containers

What other bags have you used how many did you buy to get em for a £5

Anyone recognise these bags as supplied by Sacks.ie here in Ireland?:

1 Tonne bags Ireland, One tonne bags Ireland, builders bags, bulk bags, FIBC, F.I.B.C., Ireland | sacks, sandbags, sandbags ireland, bags, bulk bags, hessian bags, potato sacks, coal sacks | Sacks.ie

I'm assuming they're made somewhere else and are supplied by others in other markets.

This 1.5m tall bag looks interesting, but it'd be good to know if anyone has some experience of how well they're made and if they're reasonably robust.

I used to use smartlift bulk packaging ventilated bags, as far as holding volume they do firmly contain a cubic meter with minimal stretch but after one season a lot began to tear becoming significantly weaker, possible UV damage?

Since then I've began using MCA Kingstones cubic meter bags and the quality is a lot better, they also seem a lot stronger too. However, they do seem to hold way more than a cubic meter. More like getting on for 1.2+ cubic meters, I rotated an IBC full of logs into one of the cubic meter bags and it just about filled the bag level before I have even bounced the bag. I either had to sell the bags or re-market the quantities I was selling and up my price which is what I did.

IBC's are still my favorite way to store firewood as you cannot beat the amount of ventilation going through the stock along with the fact I can simply rotate them into my trailer and refill them straight away. They stack solid and they're tidy. Cons... costly investment and tipping loose loads may have people questioning the quantity when compared to bringing a bag.

After trying the rest of ways we now split straight into bags held on telehandler forks. Then stacked in yard and/or barn on pallets, we mostly don't bother putting a pallet between the bags as they dry anyhow. On delivery we just empty out of bag so can be re-used loads of times.

LC Packaging, Long Sutton, Lincs do some good 1m3 bags at reasonable cost and will (usually) split a bundle.

Got mine from there too.Cheap.but watch the stretching....

Can you get .7m vented bags as I could like to switch to them as it would cut down loads of handling if I could split straight into bags and then stack them. This would also have storiage bennifits and I would know exactly how much I had ready to sell.

I don't think 1meter bags would suit my customers or me really.

Can you get .7m vented bags as I could like to switch to them as it would cut down loads of handling if I could split straight into bags and then stack them. This would also have storiage bennifits and I would know exactly how much I had ready to sell.

I don't think 1meter bags would suit my customers or me really.

0.5 0.7 1 1.2 1.5 all available

Newbie questions:

1) If you leave vented bags in the open, are the logs often surface wet which must look bad for the customers when delivered?

2) Do you have Rat poison around the bags?

3) I'm based in Scotland... lots of snow and generally damp... so would storing/seasoning wood in vented bags in the open work ok?

4) If you add vented bag cost, especially barrow bags, onto the overall price, it becomes a bit pricey compared to competitors. Perhaps 1m3 bags makes more sense, but how do you guys manage to deliver these big bags? I have a 8x5 trailer, so is there a hoist/crane I should be considering?

Thanks in advance, Mike