Anyone use vented bags for seasoning, storage and delivery?

farmer_ben

If there labelled up a cube you would be folkish to sell them as anything elsa you can tell them the bags have stretched till your blue in the face if it said a cube to them it's a cube

I think you will come to the same conclusion as I did use bag throw it away or buy high quality bags and use twice

You can bung used bags on the bay and get what you payed

You will find new bags stretch the same as 2 or 3 cycle ones. The SG Baker ones with the stripe sides dont go quite as far as one with the fine mesh sides.

A

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mouldy logs ??

NO, stack them off the floor on pallets and let the wind blow through. No issues with hard but have had an odd bit of mould on some Pyrocantha processed soon after felling last spring when it was very very wet.

tacho and cpc when delivering with trailer ??

YES for tacho but no need for CPC.

m3 bags vs builders bags 0.65 / 0.75 m3 ?? price difference / public perception ??

what is the local competition selling in. ??

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]That is a problem, often I have turned up with a bag and the customer comments how big it is compared to other bags he has had,

[/color]

i do ponder these problems all the time while processing.

packfix system works well and low cost.

I thought that might work, how do the packs stand up to handling on rough surfaces, ie being thrown around a bit on a loader. Could I roll them off the back on a trailer on a pallet without the contents falling off the pallet.

metal stillages / potatoe boxes ,high investment cost.

ability to move in and out of shed to store grain at harvest.

but more profit from logs than farming.

Some years depending on the scale.

We season in a combination of vented bags, and folding stillage cages - BUT we deliver loose loads in 2 sizes. Very rarely get mould in the bags as stored undercover in large barns with very good airflow..ImageUploadedByArbtalk1427455227.392211.jpg.f74ccf2bca34f3f7af0e3d33fd50a6cb.jpg

This way you only need to send one person to deliver, no struggling or risking injury trying to tip or move a bag.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1427455202.134871.jpg.7cbac51e1ec83f02aaf75a87c73502dc.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1427455184.689007.jpg.c93af45e873c6bb125637925b74b7f1b.jpg

We season in a combination of vented bags, and folding stillage cages - BUT we deliver loose loads in 2 sizes. Very rarely get mould in the bags as stored undercover in large barns with very good airflow..[ATTACH]179327[/ATTACH][ATTACH]179328[/ATTACH][ATTACH]179329[/ATTACH]

This way you only need to send one person to deliver, no struggling or risking injury trying to tip or move a bag.

Nice neat bags there hertswood. As I've said before I do like those collapsable crates but can't justify the outlay

You will find new bags stretch the same as 2 or 3 cycle ones. The SG Baker ones with the stripe sides dont go quite as far as one with the fine mesh sides.

A

No I've not found that bag on first trip holds correct amount second trip it's bigger and third trip there bulging.

Each time there filled shaken and moved they stretch a little more

We still use old bags but tip them out for loose loads so have a prity good idea how much is in them.

Bag supplies complete mosquito are the best for retaining size IMO

How many bags you doing.

Doesn't look very good charging mrs miggins top dollar and rocking up with an old ton bag

Do enough to give me quite a good living!

Lucky enough my customers (some for 30 year's) are more interested in the contents of the bag rather than the aesthetics!!!

Do enough to give me quite a good living!

Lucky enough my customers (some for 30 year's) are more interested in the contents of the bag rather than the aesthetics!!!

30 years doing firewood FairPlay you must be doing something right then:001_smile:

We have started supplying in crates as we have our kiln dried cooked by someone elsa so it cuts down on the handling and transporting is better.

• 9 months later...

Do you guys split green fresh felled wood in to this to season ? I'm limited to outside storage on concrete so like the idea of stacking 3 high on pallets & covering top one. Would be ideal if works. Only undercover storage I have is unventilated which I use to tip into when fully dried before delivering as I deliver loose with Ifor Williams tipping trailer..

We season in a combination of vented bags, and folding stillage cages - BUT we deliver loose loads in 2 sizes. Very rarely get mould in the bags as stored undercover in large barns with very good airflow..[ATTACH]179327[/ATTACH][ATTACH]179328[/ATTACH][ATTACH]179329[/ATTACH]

Hi HERTS LIKE it mate how much for the stillages thanks Jon

Hi all anyone the prices for hardwood now thanks Jon