job cut to quarter size!

jmac

In forestry not only is the timber not given to you for free but you will find that you will have to pay about £20 ton add on your working costs then add on the haulage and your are left with c £5. ton from a start price of £40 ton.

Sounds about right. Hard going in forestry, always has been. I don't envy foresters.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In forestry not only is the timber not given to you for free but you will find that you will have to pay about £20 ton add on your working costs then add on the haulage and your are left with c £5. ton from a start price of £40 ton.

This price is set by the foresters, as they bid for the standing timber.

People complain about low pay in Arb and forestry, but we are the ones who set the rates.

Sounds about right. Hard going in forestry, always has been. I don't envy foresters.

Thats right Jamie. Forestry is like an open air factory where skill and speed is needed to produce timber on a consistant level to show a decent profit.the difference between arb and forestry is like night and day.

lol, i remember some years back i had a new bloke come to work for me in May and by september his weight had reduced from 14 stone to 9.5 stone,, a good worker but i could see him fading day by day.

Could just be crossed wires.

I would tell them it's going to cost x amount to carry out the remaining tree work(presuming you can't go back to the original deal) or walk away and put it down to experience.

I've turned up at jobs before now where they have already had 100% of the work done by someone else but forgot to tell me. And that's after they have agreed for me to carry the work out , arranged a date and I turn up with a van and chipper to cut some trees down.:001_rolleyes:

Of course, no estate or woodland owner are going to give away their harvest, I was trying to explain simply rather than go into it. That work can be done for the timber.

I'd explain to them that whilst you were doing it to them for no cost, your payment was a deal you have done with a firewood merchant. That deal has now been cancelled due to them changing the quantity of wood available to you directly. As a result you can not carry out the work for them at no cost. If they ask how much you would charge them, then 'price the job properly with a written quote etc in case they play hard ball upon completion.

If they say that to much, just say that is your 'price, no compromise. And I wouldn't waste any more time on it than that if twas me in your situ.

Good luck 👍

That's a pretty good and fair way to carry on Jaime.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'd explain to them that whilst you were doing it to them for no cost, your payment was a deal you have done with a firewood merchant. That deal has now been cancelled due to them changing the quantity of wood available to you directly. As a result you can not carry out the work for them at no cost. If they ask how much you would charge them, then 'price the job properly with a written quote etc in case they play hard ball upon completion.

If they say that to much, just say that is your 'price, no compromise. And I wouldn't waste any more time on it than that if twas me in your situ.

Good luck 👍

Sounds like a good move.

Sounds like a good move.

Agreed, but I would do all future communication with them by correspondence letter or e-mail, in case it turns nasty and you might be maligned. Having something written down on any proposed works at least gives you a fall back line. Otherwise it you word against the Charity and you can guess who would be the loser.