Trailer Brakes while parked backwards down hill

Stephen Blair

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My indespension is resistant to reversing with the auto mechanism. So Ive made a wedge to go in the slot to hold the sliding tube fixed in the forward position. Then take it out when finished reversing. Trailers used to have a flip in and out cam for this. But I assume too many were left in and they got removed for safety reasons.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkBjAdH_11thk4xlQmLb8EY5EqeRqKsR3pmrH64rNDsgbR2kuLIQ

I can't find a diagram of how it works but on my Ifor ,when you lift the hand brake it compresses the spring in the " energy store " until the hanbrake lever gets to about 45degrees.At this point the mechanism over centres and the spring snaps the brakes fully on with the handbrake lever going up to about 60 degrees.

Edited by C.J
too much T

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkBjAdH_11thk4xlQmLb8EY5EqeRqKsR3pmrH64rNDsgbR2kuLIQ

I can't find a diagram of how it works but on my Ifor ,when you lift the hand brake it compresses the spring in the " energy store " until the hanbrake lever gets to about 45degrees.At this point the mechanism over centres and the spring snaps the brakes fully on with the handbrake lever going up to about 60 degrees.

That's same has most ,on my caravan instructions stipulate that handbrake must be in the vertical position for brakes to work fully .

Interesting thread

I have never had an issue with my later trailers, I have on occasion used the trailer handbrake to help stop the trailer pulling the truck backwards on drives.

If I pull it up as it starts rolling backwards it pulls on harder and the handle comes up to nearly vertical, to the point where it takes one heck of a lot of effort and force to take the handbrake off.

Just copied this off a Knott braking pdf

If the trailer is rolling rearwards as the handbrake is applied, or if it is pushed backwards with the handbrake on, the autoreverse

mechanism will be brought into action.

To overcome this, a greater actuating movement is introduced from the spring energy store, expanding the brake shoes further

so that full brake effectiveness is maintained.

Interesting thread

I have never had an issue with my later trailers, I have on occasion used the trailer handbrake to help stop the trailer pulling the truck backwards on drives.

If I pull it up as it starts rolling backwards it pulls on harder and the handle comes up to nearly vertical, to the point where it takes one heck of a lot of effort and force to take the handbrake off.

Just copied this off a Knott braking pdf

If the trailer is rolling rearwards as the handbrake is applied, or if it is pushed backwards with the handbrake on, the autoreverse

mechanism will be brought into action.

To overcome this, a greater actuating movement is introduced from the spring energy store, expanding the brake shoes further

so that full brake effectiveness is maintained.

I was thinking the same, I ain't had a problem before

My indespension is resistant to reversing with the auto mechanism. So Ive made a wedge to go in the slot to hold the sliding tube fixed in the forward position. Then take it out when finished reversing. Trailers used to have a flip in and out cam for this. But I assume too many were left in and they got removed for safety reasons.

Most trailer couplings still have the provision for a manual reverse catch. I fitted one recently to my LM146, since under certain conditions especially on slippery surfaces there isn't enough traction to activate the auto-reverse mechanism. The modern manual catches reset the first time you pull forwards again so you can't leave them engaged.

My trailer had not long been serviced, i reversed down my drive. I put a brick as 1 side( only had 1 brick kicking about) i kept the cable n and wound the jockey, once off it shot round to the 1 side, the cable horsed the brake until it was tight against the trailer and it hit my house. i had a pallet of turf on it.

well worth checking guys, if you have a spare bit of time try it.