Trailer Brakes while parked backwards down hill

Stephen Blair

I thought it didnt matter if using the handbrake. i've never had one roll off on me. That said i also thought that the handbrake only brakes, say the rear most axle on a twin axle trailer, so if the rear axle is off the ground, and the handbrake is on. She'll go bye bye! I could be wrong (Often am)

The handbrake operates all four brakesets on a double axle trailer. Always. :-)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always used trailers, parked braked facing uphill, and in 30 years never had a braking ptoblem.

The auto-reverse braking system that works when reversing a traiker, to prevent braked coming on is totally different. If the handbrake is applied, the brakes should be on.

Agreed :thumbup1: There is a leading shoe and a trailing shoe in each drum so handbrake will work in either direction.

You are correct Stevie

Auto reverse braked trailers should never ever be parked with the back facing downhill.

Regardless of whether you use the handbrake or not the brakes "will" disengage if there is enough weight on the trailer to overcome the auto reverse cam.

This is why everyone needs to take a trailer test, not knowing this sort of question kills :001_smile:

so on the flat the brakes will work in reverse and if gradient and weight is enough, it can get unlocked as the trailer thinks its reversing so to speak

No Dean is wrong.

If the trailer is not attached to a tow ball ,the over run mechanism will have no affect either way.(unless very badly maintained or adjusted)

Pete they do disengage when reversing unless you do it quickly, then the brakes come on. But ive reversed trailers into driveways, put on the handbrake and they have taken off and this is with good trailers with serviced brakes.

When you back it up the slope just go forward again a yard or two before you apply the hand brake . If you dont it thinks it is still in reverse . :001_smile: