brake band under warranty?

mattyboy

Too many college kids slamming the thing on while the chain is running, thats what breaks them. Yes it should be tested now and again and yes it should be clean, but its a safety feature designed to stop the chain in a kickback, not so that you can bang it on at full revs after every branch you cut.

Just because thats what the instructor at college says don't make it right.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many college kids slamming the thing on while the chain is running, thats what breaks them. Yes it should be tested now and again and yes it should be clean, but its a safety feature designed to stop the chain in a kickback, not so that you can bang it on at full revs after every branch you cut.

Just because thats what the instructor at college says don't make it right.

that is 1, thing that windes me up banging the brake on @ full revs ,wich div invented that method ,:thumbdown:

If its an original band with the slot in I think you may have a case . If its the modded one without the slot maybe not . I don't know how you work and I would not presume to tell you how to but I dont ever use the brake and I have an original ( 2011 ) brake band with the slot in it :001_smile:

iam the same never use the brake having had sachs dolmar saws for years all of them had bad chain brake design so never used them

old habit's are hard to break:thumbup::thumbup: brake :lol::lol:

Replaced one brake band within warranty. But I paid for it and fitted it myself. As I see it, it's not a part with a known lifespan. If you hardly ever use the brake, it's unlikely to wear/brake anytime soon. But if you use it every time you more a foot, then it's going to have a pretty short lifespan. But then they're not expensive and are easy to fit. My advice for what it's worth - buy two now, fit one and carry the other like you would a spare chain.

Not ideal when it puts too much strain on the gubbins inside your saw.

I tend to use the brake if i am walking but i put it on at idle , seen too many young lads slam it on with revs , the day they need the brake might be the day it fails due to abuse .

What happened to letting the chain speed slow down in the wood to finish your cut? By time the revs have died down to idle the last of the cut has been done, then you can put the on. Hope that makes sense

That's not how I do it. With my small saw it the chain slows down the clutch disengages and then it gets stuck and you have to lift up and put the power back on or it pinches and you have to open up the cut to move the saw. The brake is there for safety in kickback situations isn't it ?