4 wheel drive and diffs on Isuzu Dmax

Woodworks

Sounds like I should keep using as it as I have done. Keep in 2 as much as possible and only use the 4wd as an when needed.

Had a chat with a mate with a Ranger today and tackled him on the subject. Complained of the same issue and came to the same conclusion on driving style.

Quote from Stubby "Yep . I understood it and its quit impressive . No mention of the regeneration cycle of the DPF then "

Care to share what is impressive?

Read about the DPF issues and was nervous as I do a fair few short trips but no problems with it to date.

I thought the fact that it detects when drive is required to the other wheels and delivers it with out you having to select it as per the demo on the 3 rollers .

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably like the Hilux which has no centre differential so the drive is equal to front and rear axles. When you turn the front wheels have to travel further than the rear wheels causing torque windup in the drive train. This is why they tear up the ground when in 4 wheel drive. I have towed in 4 wheel drive with the Hilux now and again and it has caused no problems so far.

Edited by CallumA
predictive text

Definitely don't use it in four wheel drive all the time on tarmac unless you have full time 4x4.

Most 4x4's are designed to use the four wheel drive on sand, mud, snow etc & should be driven in two wheel drive on tarmac, the drive is provided by the rear axle.

You will eventually knacker your drive train in 4x4 on tarmac.

I won't bore you with the tech side of what happens but trust me its costly.

Most 4X4`s that are normally just rear wheel drive, don`t have a centre diff like a land rover, so when you use 4X4 its like a land rover with the centre diff locked, so you will get a certain amount of transmission wind up, if your using it on wet or slippy roads this will release some of the tension in the transmission. Using it in 4x4 for miles and miles on a high grip surface (dry roads / concrete) would make the wind up worse and possibly eventually cause damage.

The steering pushing on, and ripping the ground is again just a effect of the transmission being in effect centre diff locked.

If you find the transmission wound up and wont disengage back to 4x2, just backing up, or backing up on a bit of a lock releases the tension, and disengages.

Don't know whether the dmax has a diff lock.

I use my ranger in 4low if I need too, with no problems, some times it might take a minute to go back to 4 or 2 high.

It's probably like the Hilux which has no centre differential so the drive is equal to front and rear axles. When you turn the front wheels have to travel further than the rear wheels causing torque windup in the drive train. This is why they tear up the ground when in 4 wheel drive. I have towed in 4 wheel drive with the Hilux now and again and it has caused no problems so far.

This sounds spot on for what I experience. No bother popping it into 4wd when slippy but would be really nice to have a road going low ratio for heavy towing on our Devon hills. Sadly low ratio is automatically 4wd.

Please NEVER EVER put your new truck in 4wd on the road! it'll compleatly distroy the transferbox and 4wd system.

Mate of mine borrowed my trailer with his shogun sport and carryed 2ton of rubble to his house, used 4low to get up steep road to his house which is about 1 mile long, by the time he got home there was so much smoke coming from under the shogun he drove into his wall! neadless to say shogun is now a right off as the whole drive train needs replacing and transfer box!

There is no way any modern pickup can safly tow 3.5t with just 2 rear wheels for drive, its a death trap waiting to happen!

Landrover to be fair has got it spot on for a change!

Why in this country we dont use a fifth wheel system with our pickups i dont know? Its by far the safest way of carring weight on a trailer.