Front Projection Rules for Tractors/Mogs?

LGP Eddie

I think you may find that there's a difference between a part of the vehicle which projects and a load carried by the vehicle which projects. Eg the front loader on a JCB is part of the vehicle, but a minidigger carried on the front is payload.

I'm not sure about this but have an uneasy feeling about it. If it's that simple why hasn't anyone done it before?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe.

Look at the other Agri stuff on the road held together with string.

If Has Wilson came up with the idea would we have diffrent views on it.

Lets get away from hiding behind agriculture, tree surgery isn't agriculture, stop comparing the two.

The fact that a mainstream dealer hasn't promoted this specific idea ought to tell you something.

Vosa will be the least of your worries, in the event of an accident plod are going to look at it in detail.

They are likely to decide that what you were doing was in effect road haulage regardless of what the rig is registered as. Then they are going to look at the road haulage world to see if a rule or precedent exists for what you are doing and they aren't going to find one, (when did you see a haulage contractor with a digger bolted to the front of a truck?)

Then they are going to look at the axle weight issue that you so casually blew off earlier in this thread which is an issue you do need to clarify.

Its going to look like what it is, you are carrying the digger in a highly unconventional manner (for a digger) in order to save time and money and that's when things are going to get ugly.

I am sure these words aren't going to stop you but please make sure your insurance company is informed, word perfect of what you are doing. Slippery buggers that they are.....

Why not put the digger on a trailer and drag that with a longer drawbar?

I can only find specs at present on the new generation 'T' series that has 5500kg front axle loading.

I would expect to come in under that figure, especially with the Farmi on the rear to counterbalance it.

Gross is 13500kg so plenty to spare there too I'd expect.

Haulage or not I'm fully entitled to do it for Forestry, I'm not turning up roadside or someone's driveway with such a setup.

Trailers just don't cut it for me, nightmare to drag behind with the Farmi and a load of hassle on site.

Yes I simply need a Roofmount and I'm prepared to wait as I only want to go through having one built once I have a carrier worthy of the outlay.

Just because nobody has yet done it doesn't really cut it with me. Where would I be with machines if I simply took what's available?

The Kubota's have been proof enough of kit modified to work in my applications with outstanding results.

Some plough their own furrows and are big enough to stick their neck out a bit, plus also their hands up when it didn't work out.

I haven't even tried it yet, it may not look right when mocked up, but at this point it on paper at least could come in within everything I currently know to be a requirement, and who knows it may end up the poor man's roofmount setup?

Eddie.

I can only find specs at present on the new generation 'T' series that has 5500kg front axle loading.

I would expect to come in under that figure, especially with the Farmi on the rear to counterbalance it.

Haulage or not I'm fully entitled to do it for Forestry, I'm not turning up roadside or someone's driveway with such a setup.

Trailers just don't cut it for me, nightmare to drag behind with the Farmi and a load of hassle on site.

Yes I simply need a Roofmount and I'm prepared to wait as I only want to go through having one built once I have a carrier worthy of the outlay.

Just because nobody has yet done it doesn't really cut it with me. Where would I be with machines if I simply took what's available?

The Kubota's have been proof enough of kit modified to work in my applications with outstanding results.

Some plough their own furrows and are big enough to stick their neck out a bit, plus also their hands up when it didn't work out.

I haven't even tried it yet, it may not look right when mocked up, but at this point it on paper at least could come in within everything I currently know to be a requirement, and who knows it may end up the poor man's roofmount setup?

Eddie.

I tend to look at things from the "what could go wrong if..." point of view and I wouldn't like to be in bother with that for a defence

What's the tractor wheelbase and how far in front of the front axle will the centre of mass of the digger be?

It's a really hard thing to find actual guidance on?

I've seen huge front mower setups, but these had additional lighting on stalks to keep things fairly legal looking?

Obviously if I were farming I'd just stick all the roof working lights on and expect everyone else to jump out of the way!

Eddie.

The JCB has an out front mower that sticks out a lot further than your proposed digger. The lower deck of the trailer is 30 feet.

Bob

imagejpg1_zps5825ea99.jpg