Front Projection Rules for Tractors/Mogs?

LGP Eddie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might have missed this in the thread, but why not just carry the chipper on the front and tow the digger on a trailer behind? A bit of time would be spent when on site putting the chipper back on the back but not drastic?

But thinking of the way you intend to hook the link arms on to the digger- do you mean you will have brackets welded straight onto the side of the track frame so you can hook on to them- where will the top link then hook onto? and would the trackframe actually be stong enough to have that kind of leverage applied to it- its only aprox 5mm steel from memory on the takeuchi track frame...

I might have missed this in the thread, but why not just carry the chipper on the front and tow the digger on a trailer behind? A bit of time would be spent when on site putting the chipper back on the back but not drastic?

But thinking of the way you intend to hook the link arms on to the digger- do you mean you will have brackets welded straight onto the side of the track frame so you can hook on to them- where will the top link then hook onto? and would the trackframe actually be stong enough to have that kind of leverage applied to it- its only aprox 5mm steel from memory on the takeuchi track frame...

I know exactly where you're coming from, but my chipper is some chunk of metal being fitted with the steel infeed conveyor, and would be a total nightmare front mounted.

If it's setup on the rear it wouldn't need to be touched to get to work upon arrival at the workplace, and I wouldn't be looking for somewhere to drop a trailer.

The other fact is a 'T' series Valtra running pretty balanced is going to be ok on some reasonable off road terrain or even just poor access routes where the trailer would be getting a real beating.

I'd hope given a fairly simple dismounting procedure for the digger, it wouldn't be much of a job to be up and running effectively in minutes, safely plus with minimal manual intervention.

I'd hope if I could get it done to a very high standard, that it wouldn't really matter what the tractor was doing on site, the digger should be able to remain there like a weight block if necessary.

With regard to mounts, the Track Frame would be easily plated/strengthened to accept suitable brackets, and the I have two ideas for the top link mount depending on what may work best, but absolutely not on the ROPS if that's what you perhaps wondered?

I really don't do rough tackle, and it'll be no bodge job if I go for it.

There's a local guy Andrew who would do a fantastic job for me on it, but if I really felt the need John Craig at JCC Engcon would produce something that looked like Valtra and Takeuchi had done a factory install.

Obviously if I can turn up a very nice Versu or Hi Tech Twin Trac 'T' series (Not Direct) from a very good home under 6k hours, at right money ideal for a trip to Wilsons then I'd prefer that route, but nothings forthcoming as yet.

Eddie.

make a purpose built trailer and mount the chipper on it with a crane to feed it.

The mini digger has limited reach and you won't be able to feed road side very easily.

I'd rather be in the tractor monitering the dials and listening for problems.

Turn the chipper so the conveyor faces the rear of the tractor and off set the timber crane so the king post isn't in the way for visibility.

Or just buy a roofmount:biggrin:

make a purpose built trailer and mount the chipper on it with a crane to feed it.

The mini digger has limited reach and you won't be able to feed road side very easily.

I'd rather be in the tractor monitering the dials and listening for problems.

Turn the chipper so the conveyor faces the rear of the tractor and off set the timber crane so the king post isn't in the way for visibility.

Or just buy a roofmount:biggrin:

Word!!!:thumbup1:

The amount of time and money I have wasted over the year thinking I was being clever finding a new way to fix an already fixed problem is ridiculous.

If your doing something no one else has done, there is generally a reason.

Word!!!:thumbup1:

The amount of time and money I have wasted over the year thinking I was being clever finding a new way to fix an already fixed problem is ridiculous.

If your doing something no one else has done, there is generally a reason.

The simple fact is I know what I want it to achieve in my applications and that may not be the same for everyone?

I do pretty much know what works and what doesn't and even a 1.5 tonner will give an average Roofmount a run for it's money in terms of versatility, as both certainly have their strengths and weaknesses.

The question really was can I carry a Mini Digger on the front of a Forestry Tractor legally to load a mounted chipper on site? I really think one certain answer is for what it would cost it would be worth a try, and the definitive answer is I think nobody really knows until someone has a go?

I think if done very professionally with all known regs covered, being stopped would be quite head scratcher for those concerned.

It may end up the perfect setup for me or it may end up in six pages on here telling you how far VOSA bent me over!:biggrin:

I bet more than a few on here have looked twice at a Tractor front linkage by now though!:biggrin:

Eddie.

The simple fact is I know what I want it to achieve in my applications and that may not be the same for everyone?

I do pretty much know what works and what doesn't and even a 1.5 tonner will give an average Roofmount a run for it's money in terms of versatility, as both certainly have their strengths and weaknesses.

The question really was can I carry a Mini Digger on the front of a Forestry Tractor legally to load a mounted chipper on site? I really think one certain answer is for what it would cost it would be worth a try, and the definitive answer is I think nobody really knows until someone has a go?

I think if done very professionally with all known regs covered, being stopped would be quite head scratcher for those concerned.

It may end up the perfect setup for me or it may end up in six pages on here telling you how far VOSA bent me over!:biggrin:

I bet more than a few on here have looked twice at a Tractor front linkage by now though!:biggrin:

Eddie.

Vosa will be the least of your worries, in the event of an accident plod are going to look at it in detail.

They are likely to decide that what you were doing was in effect road haulage regardless of what the rig is registered as. Then they are going to look at the road haulage world to see if a rule or precedent exists for what you are doing and they aren't going to find one, (when did you see a haulage contractor with a digger bolted to the front of a truck?)

Then they are going to look at the axle weight issue that you so casually blew off earlier in this thread which is an issue you do need to clarify.

Its going to look like what it is, you are carrying the digger in a highly unconventional manner (for a digger) in order to save time and money and that's when things are going to get ugly.

I am sure these words aren't going to stop you but please make sure your insurance company is informed, word perfect of what you are doing. Slippery buggers that they are.....

Why not put the digger on a trailer and drag that with a longer drawbar?