Article research - How much do you charge for a days work?

Rob D

Just doing some research for an article for EssentialArb and want to find out how much people are charging out there for a days work. If you want a mention in the mag with the info you've given then please also put in that I have permission to use it.

It seems to me as a profession we work bloody hard mainly just for the opportunity to buy the next bit of kit. But how much is the going rate?

It's not a competition but if you could give a brief description and then price. Also how much are you paying in insurance and what part of the country you are from. Any additional info like how much you pay your employees.

E.g

For a 2 man team with truck and chipper I look for at least £400-00 per day. For a 3 man team with truck and chipper £500-00. Includes getting rid of all waste.

Hire of MEWP or additional equipment is on top of this. Skilled climber if sub contracted in £120 to £140 per day, unskilled groundie £7.50 per hour.

Insurance for me costs £2600-00 which includes 3rd party liability, damage/theft of tools and employers liability.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob - that is a difficult question mate...

Theres alot of unknowns with ''a days work'' and every job is different.

Speaking from a forestry cutting POV - depending on the job,

I'm £90 a day per chainsaw operative based on two operatives minimum,

For climbing - £100 a day for remedial/small jobs.

For all other jobs arb wise, it depends on what needs doing and who's doing it, but £120 a day for me to climb.

For other forestry ops such as spraying, fence maintenance, surveying and data collections etc, we're £80 a day per person..

However, when we get the chance to do piece rate work, we can earn approximatley £100 a day, which is nice all round.

Cheers for the feedback guys. I Know it's difficult to put exact figures but a rough guide is good. Keep it coming - don't be shy!

How about you Treeline - I'm not looking for popularity just a few ideas on what other people out there are charging. We all complain we don't get paid enough so how much are you getting paid?

If I wanted loads of replies I would have started a thread 'what do you think is best Stihl or Husqvarna?':001_tongue: But my main gripe with this industry is we get paid bugger all for a skilled and dangerous job. So instead of just moaning about it I'm trying to do something about it.

You mean you're supposed to charge?!?!?

Sorry. Absoloute minimum 120/day if i just have to turn up with a chainsaw and it isnt too far away. If i am climbing under my own steam and bringing the chipper and taking all the waste, more like 300/day, unless its granny dryden who has zero money, and i try to knock some off. I dont have any permanent staff, but a list of people i can call on to help, and they get charged out at around 100/day if they are groundying.

Sawmilling from 250/day with chainsaw mill, or 40/hr plus blades for bandsaw, and travelling if doing mobile milling.

Distance makes a difference too.

Ball park figures.

£350/day for me climbing, 1 groundie, truck, chipper and waste disposal. £100 per man on top. Less for hedgecutting/non-climbing work.

Me climbing about £120/day depending on who/where.

BUT the figure varies depending on loads of factors.

For instance a nice local Ash takedown which will be great fun and give us a nice load of chip and cord, I'll price less.

Conifer with bramble growing through it, slightly more. No, much more!

Basic PL & EL £600. East Kent.

Good thread.