TPO tree taken down with out consent

jimthedog

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

A few weeks ago I was asked to quote to remove 2 cherry trees in a front garden. The lady about 65 years old said that she had checked and they where not protected not thinking that she would have me over I didn't think to check for myself. It turns out that they where protected. The council now know that they have been taken down. What is the likely out come?

To late now but never ever take any prospective clients word that they have checked anything to do with trees,acess,boundaries etc. most times they are guessing or going by hear say.

Depends if you have delt with your local tree officer in the past and know him or her. You might be lucky as trees not that big but could go either way. Prepare for the worst and see how it pans out. Could be an expensive lesson learned and I gueentee you will always check from now on.

A "reputable" arb company based near me are know for felling any tree they wish, they then go an show a picture of a rotting stump or half dead tree to the council to justify it, they've never been questioned in 20 odd years.

If I was you I'd write an apology letter to your tree officer explaining they where half dead and of little amenity value, and offer to replace the trees that where removed

Responses so far, some funny and brutally honest in an unfortunate set of circumstances, some that reflect the current shortfalls in local government funding, some brutally pessimistic.

There but for the grace of God!

What are your options?

(A) Come clean, talk to TO, explain that you'd been given to believe there was no TPO, say you'd been misled, describe as best as possible the decline in the tree, maybe even offer to undertake replanting at no charge it customer supplies stock. (May just show some willingness to make a mends and acknowledge your error??)

(B ) Adopt a low profile and await the outcome.

If it were me I'd try and take the forward approach.

Good luck, be interesting to hear how it goes.

I wonder if the TO is reading this thread?? That could bite you in the backside if it goes pear shaped.

Responses so far, some funny and brutally honest in an unfortunate set of circumstances, some that reflect the current shortfalls in local government funding, some brutally pessimistic.

There but for the grace of God!

What are your options?

(A) Come clean, talk to TO, explain that you'd been given to believe there was no TPO, say you'd been misled, describe as best as possible the decline in the tree, maybe even offer to undertake replanting at no charge it customer supplies stock. (May just show some willingness to make a mends and acknowledge your error??)

(B ) Adopt a low profile and await the outcome.

If it were me I'd try and take the forward approach.

Good luck, be interesting to hear how it goes.

I wonder if the TO is reading this thread?? That could bite you in the backside if it goes pear shaped.

Good post Kevin. That's the route I'd take.

Always check in future. As the contractor you will be held at least part liable.

Fines up to £20k.

Even halving that would put a noticeable dent in my normal weekend of Stella, coke and whores.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk