TPO tree taken down with out consent

jimthedog

Good post Kevin. That's the route I'd take.

Always check in future. As the contractor you will be held at least part liable.

Fines up to £20k.

Even halving that would put a noticeable dent in my normal weekend of Stella, coke and whores.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Are the fines not now unlimited? I was subbying for someone recently and client had done their own TPO application for a beech but funnily enough didn't have a copy to hand. Told us we could reduce it all over by 4m which I was shocked at as it was a beech. Whilst he was making a pre start cup of tea we phoned the TO and turns out we only had permission to crown raise it on one side (over a garage). Just as well we checked. Even when we pointed this out and had the permission emailed to our phone, he was adamant we had permission and should just get on with.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's good arse covering practice to check with the LPA before doing any tree, regardless of what your client tells you.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Kevin. That's the route I'd take.

Always check in future. As the contractor you will be held at least part liable.

Fines up to £20k.

Even halving that would put a noticeable dent in my normal weekend of Stella, coke and whores.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

.........coke and whores in Hamstreet?...Doubtful...Kingsnorth,maybe?

I agree with most posts here it is always best practice to check yourself if it's like my council website it takes 5 mins whilst stood at the tree. I learnt very quickly never to trust any customer as they don't care for you. Luckily I've never been caught out but have found a few lies along the way.

As regards to the LA if there like mine also the cannot afford to take you to court, I'm friends with my TO and he told me a story about a family ring barking some big beech because they were denied permission to remove and the council couldn't do anything about it, saying that I would just meet up with the TO and explain yourself and offer to replant

Incorrect, they will be held jointly responsible in most cases.

Not true ,it depends on the council we had a similar scenario when we took down 3 dead ash trees 30foot tall ,my wife asked the client if any TPO or conservation area reply was no turns out it was a conservation area again no photographic proof but major decay in all three coppice stools .i wrote explained and admitted we should have given 5 days notice.

The Tree officer sent out a caution I asked if the owner and her agent would receive the same he said no as it was there policy to Always caution the contractor and not the homeowner,at the time of felling we replanted 3 trees as part of the job Limes but we were told to remove these by the owner on advice from the tree officer as Limes should not be planted near pond or water total rubbish.

I know I was in the wrong and admitted it and this was a first in 28 years of trading ,I'm old school and trust clients to be straight but not any more!!