climbing age ??

superfurryanimal

Superfurryanimal, I'm 51, climb on average once or twice a week. Enjoy it. But I also do other tree work. When I need help i finds loads of young lads qualified to climb. I find far fewer qualified for big trees, wind blow etc. There is probably more climbing work out there than forestry felling work which may account for this. I would advise researcing work opportunities where you live before choosing.

Hope that helps?

D

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48. climb 3 or 4 days a week. started climbing at 30. 10 years on chainsaw before that.

hard to do 5 full days in a row but no problem keeping up with younger lads.

i think you need all ground tickets and loads of saw time before getting into climbing.

your never to old to start - but.... in all honesty most firms wouldn't take you on as a trainee climber.

cs38 would be a great thing to have under your belt and in the grand scheme of things you might as well look at 39 while your at it and do it all in one go but if who ever you are working for isn't providing the training and your self funding then I would concentrate on ground based quals (beyond cs38).

sorry - I should elaborate

if a new employee hasn't got them our order of training would likely be 30-31, then chipper, then 38 then 32

slot in first aid somewhere when either a course pops up or when its time for refreshers for everyone else.

I feel windblown should come later as personally I wouldn't put a freshly qualified member of staff straight into the position of dealing with this without some experience under their belt.