climbing age ??

superfurryanimal

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id say never to old. I'm quite young so easy for me to say i guess as recovery for the next day might be bit quicker then say someone twice my age. But if you enjoy it then never to old. trick is price and go for the jobs you are keen for, If you wanna smash reductions out and feel up to the challenge then head for council and contract work. if you wanna enjoy your day climbing and perfecting reductions aim for private work where you haven't got a dead line as such because if you don't finish first day .. head back the following. :)

I believe that is nonsense.

I don't mean that you're past it at 40. I know a few very good climbers that age. But in order to be a great climber in your 40's you need to start young. There's a lot to learn, and not all of it can be learned at College. I'd tell anyone to go for it, whatever their age, but it takes a fit 20 year old 5 years to get really good. I'm 40 now, if I was starting now I'd never reach the standard I have done having started at 26. That's a fact.

I agree with that. Ive always said its like when you pass your driving test you get the ticket then you start learning to drive. Same with arb you get ticket then its a learning curve. I'm 40 and its not a problem for me climbing every day i am fit strong and its not a problem on a day to day basis to section fell big stuff or crown reduction/care or just prunning the small fruit tree. Love it..

Occasional landscape climber 40s ??????

If you want to scramble about ringing bells at the of branches against the clock then fine.

It's all well and good but when it come down to judging rigging big lumps, managing the work so the groundsmen are neither overloaded or standing there, and not killing yourself or the guys on the ground experience and ability are key, if your 25 or 55.

48. Two years climbing and more than happy with 4 days climbing a week, sometimes 5. May not be as fast as the youngsters, but I don't care. We get the job done at our pace and don't run back from the chipper. And we eat pies. What's a gym?

mmmm a lot to consider, i'm 43 at the mo & would like to better myself, hoping to save a bit of coin to do more tickets after xmas, i'm pretty fit but my dilemma is do I go and do my chipper ticket, cs32, windblow ? or would I be better off using my hard earned cash and going straight in and doing my cs38, wish I had the coin to do it all ! lol thanks for the replies and advice chaps.

Occasional landscape climber 40s ??????

If you want to scramble about ringing bells at the of branches against the clock then fine.

It's all well and good but when it come down to judging rigging big lumps, managing the work so the groundsmen are neither overloaded or standing there, and not killing yourself or the guys on the ground experience and ability are key, if your 25 or 55.

My point is STARTING at 40 is too late if you want to be really good. Totally agree with you on the experience.