climbing age ??

superfurryanimal

I disagree, there is a suitable age. Over 23 or so (depending on ones youthful belief on immortality) and under 35 (giving you enough time to build up some skill before age limits your physicality)

I totally disagree too with you .....i started serious climbing 8 years ago and I am now 46 and I will run rings round some of these young bin kids who fade out by 3oclock who think its still home time at school.

Like I said earlier a lot depends on if you have had a physical job prior to start climbing which I did living in a pig farm and have been using chainsaw since a very early age .

Ste

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHen i was 22 i use to go to work and slog my guts out, head to the pub and get smashed and party the rest under the table, wake up, coffee and fag for breakfast and do it all again.. Now i need two coffees but i have time for that as i quit smoking...i think it all depends. I'm now 32. I have some muscular problems with my back. (mainly caused from driving long distances and time sat at a computer and not doing my exercises....The biggest difference i think that comes with age is firstly recovery it takes longer and secondly mindset. Older people tend to have a tougher mind set (i.e they winge a lot less and just get on with it) Experience makes life easier in the tree. The older a person gets i think the more prone to injury they can become and the more important it is to do proper exercises like stretching and Like Paul Jenks says, build on the core muscles as a strong core is vital. If you jump straight up a tree from sitting behind a desk for 25 years, you may struggle...but i met a guy who will now be in his 50's ho did that in his mid 40's was told he shouldnt even think of becomming a climber. 3 years after being told that, he was tough as old boots with a six pack despite how much ale he supped. Also know a woman who is about 5ft tall and in her mid 40's when she started...she wont prune trees as she doesnt have the body strength to pull her self up on a rope with out ascenders. But she can spike around a fell as good as most climbers who are 1 year out of college and swing branches in. She just pushes off smaller chogs than the blokes and climbs out a bit further.