climbing age ??

superfurryanimal

If you're reasonably fit, and have good aerobic capacity, the main issues with starting climbing at a later age are going to be strength, flexibility and muscle recovery.

Learning stuff may come easy or hard, depends on your mindset.

I climb less now, predominantly as I have to go out and survey. Some weeks I can do 3-4 days and I feel great, if a little tired. Other times I can go for a couple of weeks without lifting a saw.

If a person is going to start climbing, tickets and chainsaw competency aside, I would suggest going to the gym and building up core strength alongside the usual bicep, tricep stuff. Many of the strain injuries are caused by a lack of core strength or under training of antagonistic muscle groups.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

……I have been thinking about it ……… but where to start ?? At 52 :blushing:

It is difficult to know how to start. I went to the climbing wall and quickly learned that was not really relevant apart from fitness building. Buy the tree climbers companion book and look at the videos on the net. I also downloaded EVERYTHING I could find ...all AFAG leaflets NPTC compentencies and especially the HSE list of fatal and serious injuries. Felt guilty buying my first rope, harness strop etc as no ticket but needed to learn first. Never be a full time commercial climber but love doing occasional works. Thing is now I don't automatically say He's a great climber just cos I see a bloke up a tree on a rope. Really nice to have an understanding even if I'm just on the ground