The Pitfalls Of Importing !

forestry

A quick table of temperatures to illustrate.

http://www.thermapure.com/pdf/dr_burge_paper.pdf

I would suggest for imports 140C maintained for 3 hours would need to be the bare minimum and I doubt any logs imported have seen temperatures anything like that.

The worrying part is some spores require heat of 75C to germinate which is the top end of the heat scale for these water based drying systems.

Edited by renewablejohn

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was not aware of that potential issue, thanks for the heads up.

However any logs likely to be imported by members here with be from within the EU and be kiln dried. Logs from EU member states are exempt from import disease control from what I can understand but being kiln dried I would have thought the major benefit of the kilning process providing its properly carried out is that any pests within the logs are killed. Thats of course where we came in, with crap wet mouldy logs.

A

The EU free trade rules prohibit effective "control measures" to be implemented until AFTER it can be demonstrated that a risk / threat exists. Otherwise the nation implementing the block could be fined by EU (unless you're French, then the response is a Gallic shrug!)

An example - C fraxinea, took hold in the East of Europe in the 80's, marched Westerly at a steady and easily observable rate until - shock horror, 30+ years later, it arrived with a vengeance in UK, apparently, to the great surprise of the host of QUANGO's that took so much airtime telling us all how hard they were working to create a defence / recovery policy. (As a side, personal frustration - well done FC, NE, WT, DEFRA et all - lightening efficiency, caught with your pants down despite 30 years notice - and people wonder why there is ever increasing lack of confidence in Public Sector??)

So, imports from within EU "should" meet predetermined (self certified) biosec standards. Well, anyone who thinks there is an equitable and fastidious application of EU standards across all nations is a basket case! Then add the pursuit of profit into the mix and there we have the ingredients of the next series of plant health threats...

The EU free trade rules prohibit effective "control measures" to be implemented until AFTER it can be demonstrated that a risk / threat exists. Otherwise the nation implementing the block could be fined by EU (unless you're French, then the response is a Gallic shrug!)

An example - C fraxinea, took hold in the East of Europe in the 80's, marched Westerly at a steady and easily observable rate until - shock horror, 30+ years later, it arrived with a vengeance in UK, apparently, to the great surprise of the host of QUANGO's that took so much airtime telling us all how hard they were working to create a defence / recovery policy. (As a side, personal frustration - well done FC, NE, WT, DEFRA et all - lightening efficiency, caught with your pants down despite 30 years notice - and people wonder why there is ever increasing lack of confidence in Public Sector??)

So, imports from within EU "should" meet predetermined (self certified) biosec standards. Well, anyone who thinks there is an equitable and fastidious application of EU standards across all nations is a basket case! Then add the pursuit of profit into the mix and there we have the ingredients of the next series of plant health threats...

Yup COBRA struck with all the force of a slow worm on smack.

And why was it that when F n M struck the shutters were slammed shut world wide but when our bio security is threatened we can't do owt cos it will affect international trade agreements!.

Yup COBRA struck with all the force of a slow worm on smack.

And why was it that when F n M struck the shutters were slammed shut world wide but when our bio security is threatened we can't do owt cos it will affect international trade agreements!.

Had the shutters indeed been slammed shut you would have kept it on y'r bloody island.

It was a conscious decision not to by the Great British which led to it being exported to mainland Europe!

Still bitter, Dutch farmer.

I have reservations about these imported logs, partly from a biosecurity point of view, and partly from one of ecological soundness. What ever carbon saving comes from these logs must be severely dented by the transportation. I'd be interested to see what method is used to heat the kilns too.

Foresty: Niall, is a local competitor of mine, I still manage to sell my logs and he is obviously doing ok with his, so there seems to be room in the marketplace. We both have to put up with the usual guys selling a "load" of wet logs as competition.

Despite mine being air dried and his kiln dried I think mine would win a moisture content test though.:001_tt2:

Had the shutters indeed been slammed shut you would have kept it on y'r bloody island.

It was a conscious decision not to by the Great British which led to it being exported to mainland Europe!

Still bitter, Dutch farmer.

2 days from the first case being found and the banning of exports. Yes it was our falt but it was hardly are fault that the dutch goverment decided to slaughter a quarter of a million animals that had been vaccinated.

A quick table of temperatures to illustrate.

[url]http://www.thermapure.com/pdf/dr_burge_paper.pdf[/url]

I would suggest for imports 140C maintained for 3 hours would need to be the bare minimum and I doubt any logs imported have seen temperatures anything like that.

I had some imported birch last winter that was around 15% internally. Sold most of it but the remainder had another summer under cover and went out just below 10%.

A