The Pitfalls Of Importing !

forestry

your imports are doing away with the harvesting,planting, drainage, haulage, processing jobs, vehicle sales, fuel, mechanics to name a few examples because all these people will have no jobs when you undercut locally sourced timber, not rocket science to see the potential knock on effects. crates delivered on foreign lorries fuelled on the continent and paying no tax into uk coffers how is this a good thing?

Good reply I should have responded like this my self but to be honest I was struggling to see anything positive coming from it. Often I find the attitude in the uk is as long as I fill my bank account up enough no matter how, I will be fine and stuff everyone else. If you can keep the money in your local economy your enviroment will be better for it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your imports are doing away with the harvesting,planting, drainage, haulage, processing jobs, vehicle sales, fuel, mechanics to name a few examples because all these people will have no jobs when you undercut locally sourced timber, not rocket science to see the potential knock on effects. crates delivered on foreign lorries fuelled on the continent and paying no tax into uk coffers how is this a good thing?

Absolute Tosh, are you suggesting firewood should be treated differently from every other commodity imported into the UK - with your logic nothing should be allowed to be imported into the UK. Check where the clothes you are wearing are made, I suspect they are not made in the UK, therefore by your logic, you are doing away with manufacturing and all other associated jobs relating to clothe manufacturing. It is not rocket science !!

Good reply I should have responded like this my self but to be honest I was struggling to see anything positive coming from it. Often I find the attitude in the uk is as long as I fill my bank account up enough no matter how, I will be fine and stuff everyone else. If you can keep the money in your local economy your enviroment will be better for it.

Gensetsteve are you another person who only wears clothes manufactured in the UK, have a look at the labels on your forestry kit.

And yes, the idea of running a business is to fill your bank account and yes " stuff everyone else"it is called is competition. But I guess you run a non profit organisation, your not interested in making money !

The guy was not an idiot ordering firewood from 1000s miles away, he was naive paying upfront.

Believe it or not as long as the conifer the crate is made from is Kiln Dried it complies with current regulations.

I do not understand your issue with importing firewood. Do you only eat food and drink produced in France, drive a French car etc etc, we live in a global market !!

I may have been a little strong in calling the guy an idiot, I do however find the argument for this idiotic.

France is one of the most protectionist countries going, only where a product can be made or grown better do they import. Looking in my kitchen, 90% of my food is a product of France, the exotic fruit and spice is imported.

My TV is Japanese as they make the best tellies, my van is French, my car Sweedish as it represented a quality not available here, it had to undergo rigorous tests to pass EU and French regulations to be allowed on the road. Where are the bio security checks on your mates mouldy logs? If I knew of a way of reporting such things to authorities, I would. If this was a product from Ebola land, and it was people in danger, I think we would be having a much different thread here.

The Uk has a thriving firewood industry, one where locally grown wood, cut by local people, and delivered locally with low transport requirements is an industry to take great pride in. There is the quality and the availability and the decision to import was based purely on slave labor prices:sneaky2:

I may have been a little strong in calling the guy an idiot, I do however find the argument for this idiotic.

France is one of the most protectionist countries going, only where a product can be made or grown better do they import. Looking in my kitchen, 90% of my food is a product of France, the exotic fruit and spice is imported.

My TV is Japanese as they make the best tellies, my van is French, my car Sweedish as it represented a quality not available here, it had to undergo rigorous tests to pass EU and French regulations to be allowed on the road. Where are the bio security checks on your mates mouldy logs? If I knew of a way of reporting such things to authorities, I would. If this was a product from Ebola land, and it was people in danger, I think we would be having a much different thread here.

The Uk has a thriving firewood industry, one where locally grown wood, cut by local people, and delivered locally with low transport requirements is an industry to take great pride in. There is the quality and the availability and the decision to import was based purely on slave labor prices:sneaky2:

Agree

Absolute Tosh, are you suggesting firewood should be treated differently from every other commodity imported into the UK - with your logic nothing should be allowed to be imported into the UK. Check where the clothes you are wearing are made, I suspect they are not made in the UK, therefore by your logic, you are doing away with manufacturing and all other associated jobs relating to clothe manufacturing. It is not rocket science !!

Are you suggesting that timber, a natural, untreated material is directly comparable to clothing, a treated and processed material? How many environmentally damaging pests and diseases have been bought in on clothing? Whereas in the past 10 years, vegetation imports have led to 5 significant pests and diseases: RBNB (red band needle blight), phytophthora, ash dieback, Asian longhorn beetle and chestnut blight... 2 were definitely bought in as timber.

You could compare it to imported foods, but I object to that not being screened during import either!

Are you suggesting that timber, a natural, untreated material is directly comparable to clothing, a treated and processed material? How many environmentally damaging pests and diseases have been bought in on clothing? Whereas in the past 10 years, vegetation imports have led to 5 significant pests and diseases: RBNB (red band needle blight), phytophthora, ash dieback, Asian longhorn beetle and chestnut blight... 2 were definitely bought in as timber.

You could compare it to imported foods, but I object to that not being screened during import either!

Yes I am comparing it in the same "context" when talking about, losing jobs etc.

Where have I mentioned or disagreed with the threat from improperly imported timber ?

We as importers take biosecurity very seriously and only recently had our FC Plant Health inspection which we passed without any issues.

I for one think fair play mr forestry, if you can get the same product cheaper and still sell at market value then thats a logical choice for YOUR business to make more profit! Its not your responsibility to support other businesses. harsh but true

However if you were selling at below market value at a price uk suppliers couldn't compete with, that would be bad practice, or just not very nice :)

As long as its legal, fair enough!

Nobody is arguing that this type of importation of is acceptable !

What I am arguing is that importing firewood responsibly and complying with all current FC Plant Health requirements is completely acceptable and is no different from importing any other commodity.

I also take exception to your comment regarding slave labour, I personally stipulate to my supplier that the Latvian minimum wage is paid to all my suppliers staff.

As regards pride in the forest industry, your damn right we should be proud and as someone who has run a forestry contracting business for over 30 years I feel qualified to state just that, however to suggest that there is the quality and the availability locally suggests you know the area I have lived in for the last 50 years better than I do. Perhaps you can give me contacts in my local area who will produce the same quality product I am looking for.