which woodburning stove?

Silverwood

Stubby

That looks so good!

Let my stove go out this morning. Far too warm today in the sunny East Midlands :thumbup1:

Thats a pic from last winter !" . 20 degrees here today . :001_smile: Sadly my old dog is no longer with us .....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, are any of the stoves mentioned here actually dedicated wood stoves, rather than multi fuel? The Morso ones are multi, and that has the disadvantage that they need draft through the grate, meaning the ash need to be emptied more often than if they just had a solid tray for the fire.

By the way, are any of the stoves mentioned here actually dedicated wood stoves, rather than multi fuel? The Morso ones are multi, and that has the disadvantage that they need draft through the grate, meaning the ash need to be emptied more often than if they just had a solid tray for the fire.

My Burley ( pictured above ) Is a wood burner only . It has no grate . Steel floor with a vermiculite board on top . . Vermiculite boards lining the back and sides .

As Mr Stubby says the Burleys are designed as dedicated wood burners and they give you all the theory why such a design is necessary to get the maximum heat out of your wood.

Have to say that when you're sitting at night with the whole house roasting having burnt no more than maybe half a dozen decent bits of stick, it's hard to disagree with their pitch.

My understanding was that only coal / coke fires need draft from the bottom? Wood needs a draft from the top. It might take a burn or two after emptying the ash to build up a bit of ash on the grate again, but it will still burn well and hot. Mine is multi fuel, but I only burn wood - and I only empty the ash out once or twice a year.

I beg to differ, in respect of burning wood on the Morso.

We have a multifuel Morso, which indeed has the under grate draught facility.

But it does not be used to burn wood.

Simply leave it closed and open the vents at the rear, or the 2 threaded ventilation knobs on the doors.

I actually understood it was more to allow one to "riddle" the grate?

Which is all I use it for, and about every fortnight, but then we burn nearly all the waste paper, bank statements, circulars, bumph as well, so these prob cause most of the ash.

With Burley wood only burner there are only 2 controls . The door and the air slide at the front . The door has a " just open " catch for lighting . Once its going , usually 30 seconds to a min you shut the door tight but leave the air slide wide open . Once you got the stove up to the temp you want close the air slide till it just draws to maintain that temp ./ Simples !