How important 750kg chipper

Hardmet

I have had a lot of different opinions from arborists with regards 750kg tow weights of a 6" chipper. as a manufacture we are interested to know if you guys find the tow weight more important then performance and durability.

Which one is the decider when choosing a chipper?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of whether someone has or employs staff with pre 97 or B+E licenses. I think it is going to be more important in the future. I currently am not in a full time arb related work. I do relief/ holiday HGV driving and the red tape and expense with that is getting more and more. This is something I would want to avoid if possible as an employer or employee. It simply increases liabilty and penalties. £1000 for not having your CPC card on you?????!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore I reckon as people retire and others avoid the B+E route >750kg is going to be more or an issue.

I bought an 8inch PTO chipper around 10 years ago. Its now as good as obsolete. I used to go to jobs with it on the back of the tractor on red diesel. I wouldn't honestly know exactly what I would need to do to comply with current regs to use it on domestic/commercial tree work.

If however you work justifies or requires a big chipper and lifts the profit margin and improves other aspects of running the business. It may not be important.

Also once VOSA recognize what towed equipment is under 750kg they may ignore them more as self funding now and will want a bigger catch if they can.

I think if you are in a position to buy a chipper you can spend £500 more and get your b+e. If you look at the bigger picture a bigger chipper will save you more time and money and if you get a few decent jobs in that week the B+E is paid for because you've went for a bigger machine which has saved you a day or two on the job

I have had a sub 750 and they get round a problem and are ok but for me now build quality and robustness counts for more, the younger lads are going to have to invest in there selved a bit and do a test.

I run two 6" machines bit toying with going to 8". I do firewood aswell.

Edited by Ian C

We have a tw190

I wouldt want to do anything more than twig trimmings with anything less.

It's heavier and a mare to move on your own but it saves a so much time in chipping especially doing things like connie take downs and or gnarly apple. It has less go wrong as it's much more hard waring and tough.

Only I really drive and I have +e but I think in this industry that's a must really

You may also want to look at regulations that may well come up in the future. It's my view that it won't be long before towing commercially will be regulated whatever the weight.

Spending large amounts on R&D for a sub-750 chipper might be wasted if the law changes and you've not sold enough into the market.

Ive said before its going to be a dying market soon, maybe not just yet.

With the new rules anyone passing their driving test will be limited to 3500kg GTW, making any new driver useless to a tree firm.

So anyone wanting to be employable will need to do the trailer test anyhow and thus, will be able to tow heavier weights.