Leyllandi fire wood

Taff3757

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there has been too many urban myths surrounding it. The classic "it gums up the chimney" is my all time favourite. Had a customer complain his wood spat, it was birch and oak. Sold him some leyllandii, and he never complained again! Though he did run out of firewood quicker so I sold him some more!

I live in a big old draughty 6 bed farmhouse and heating, cooking and hot water is all supplied by burning leylandii and has been for decades.

Chimney in my living room has never been swept that I know of and I've lived here 40 years and it doesn't need sweeping either.

Key to avoiding the sap is to stack it outside for 2-3 years before cutting and splitting, won't be any sap if you can do that.

Only downside is the sap.

We burn tons of Leylandii and Lawsons logs every year, if you season it for 18months

plus you dont get any spitting and it burns really hot. It may be faster burning but

its free and doesnt eat into your hardwood stocks!

My sweep says my liner is no different to customers who burn kiln dried only!

We have found it very good to burn. Also dries quick.

I did make the mistake of splitting and stacking a load straight into the wood shed and sap popped out in sticky blobs all over. We have split it and left it out to weather for a season then stacked it and you will not find a blob of sap on it. The weather seems to wash it off.

Think I will try and and split it in the autumn let it wether over the winter and dry it over the summer ready for next winter.

We have found it very good to burn. Also dries quick.

I did make the mistake of splitting and stacking a load straight into the wood shed and sap popped out in sticky blobs all over. We have split it and left it out to weather for a season then stacked it and you will not find a blob of sap on it. The weather seems to wash it off.

Think I will try and and split it in the autumn let it wether over the winter and dry it over the summer ready for next winter.

Thats how I deal with it . Got a stack weathering right now . Been there since he spring wont split it till next spring/early summer . When you cant smell it until you are up close is when its ready to split ...

As I've said before it all burn but it's dirty and full of sap been here before so that's my opinion not even the chip boys take it around us. I've burned loads of it usually on a bonfire. Now wood getting scarce the lads down the pub have it but they take it and log it them selfs.

Each to there own.:001_smile: