Over-populated planet?

armybloke

This conversation lost all creditability when someone mentioned a Dan brown book..,.....

Apologies if I went too low brow for you!

My rationale for adding that contribution to the mix was to illustrate how popular artistic culture through the media of literature, film and TV for example, can and very often does provide a a window into our future......

I for one recall watching "Space 1999" as a child and thinking how inconceivably into the future 1999 was! Now it's almost inconceivably in the past!

The film "Outbreak" (1995) and the current Ebola situation (not a great example but current & topical)

http://www.newsweek.com/climate-change-ebola-outbreak-globalization-infectious-disease-264163

Take your pick:

12 Monkeys

Total Recall

I Robot

Planet of the Apes

Independence Day, to name just a tiny few,

They may seem inconceivable, but as I said early with Space 1999, already in my life, that which I, at the time, thought was beyond my comprehension, has already faded into history. I won't be making that mistake again - even if it means reading a Dan Brown book (I did enjoy the previous ones in the series, but not so much this one)

One thing that astounds me is the countries where food is scarce & living conditions are poor yet they feel the need to keep reproducing.

Religion has a massive part to play in reproduction of the human race as many do not believe in contraception.

I have never felt need to have children & to be honest I don't really like them, (nothing personal if you have children) but can understand it must be the most amazing feelings to have one.

If the people of the world are struggling now imagine what it would be like in another 100 years which isn't too far way.

History dictates that the dominant species on the planet will eventually meet their demise whether its medical resistant diseases or starvation that eradicates the human race.

I personally would not want to bring a child into this world when it is so broken with no sign of it ever being fixed.

The human race seems hell bent on destroying theirselves & the planet with them.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I have never felt need to have children & to be honest I don't really like them,

I've no problem with that but if there is a gene associated with not having children it dies in a generation :001_smile:

I personally would not want to bring a child into this world when it is so broken with no sign of it ever being fixed.

My greatest regret moving from teenage optimism to my current decrepit state is that the world didn't get to be a better place and it seems to be because we are genetically programmed to get more individually than accept a fairer share, this leads to the rise of corrupt systems which take too long to defeat.

The human race seems hell bent on destroying theirselves & the planet with them.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

A lesson learnt since Pandora's box was opened is that if humans can do something they will, it takes a long time for the effects of this to be overcome, by a global consensus, look at the time from Big boy to SALT, aerosols to hole in ozone to ban on freons and now the inability to control the increasing proportion of CO2 in the atmosphere.