What socket set?

Woodworks

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too prefer 6 sided sockets over bi-hex, especially in the smaller sizes and on worn or rusted bolts.

Impact sockets are without doubt very strong, even poor quality ones are good as they have so much steel. But they are very clumsy and do not always fit between bolt heads and flanges. (try getting a 19mm one on a stihl bar nut, or a 13mm on a 346XP)

Thin walled sockets are the best, but they do need to be made well with high quality steel or they will split.

I know there are mixed opinions about tool when ever anyone says

Snap-on!!

They are a professional tool of high quality

And as for costs of ratchets they give a life time warranty on the ratchet heads which come as a kit! So should you get over keen and break it it can be fixed and put back into use

In which case it could be called Eco friendly ...

If you buy Snap-on flank drive sockets they won't round you nuts off!!

They will in most cases undo nuts which have had the corners rounded!

I have Snap-on in my box along with a little bit of the French Facom Britool tools bits of draper one or two Beta plus a few other branded bits

And even some unbranded stuff! But without any question over the many years first starting with tools from the Sunday market it is now mainly Snap-on and from all them years nothing has proven to be trustworthy and reliable

Regardless you could replace 3 or 4 times with cheaper tools if it lets you down in the field it's like turning up at a job and the chipper, grinder or saw won't start it's pointless waste of time and money

I'll shut up now! ...

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

there definitely not cheap but are nice tools my main socket set is carolus which is the brudget brand of carolus and in my opinion still puts snapon to shame

for thoose that like quality tools tryn this site PrimeTools.co.uk

carolus do a good ratchet spanner bigger than most i have a 24mm but i think they are available up to 36mm you just need to sell one of your kidneys to pay for it

[ATTACH]163099[/ATTACH]

Bacho £140

I got one like that but it's called a Bahco :thumbup: S87+7 6 point metric and imperial plus a 1/4" drive set with some swivel and combination spanners in there as well. I got mine off ebay for a bargain £50 plus postage :thumbup1: I have Kamasa sockets as well over 30 years old and only broke the ratchet. I got a Stahlwille 1/4" drive ratchet off ebay for £11 should have been about £40 and you can buy any part of it separate to repair it.

Edited by peatff

That Bahco set onfoot has got is better than the one I bought for the lads. I got them this one Bahco S410 Socket Set 41 Piece 1/4in & 1/2in Drive - BAHS410 and its missing to many sizes of socket.No 11,15,18,20,22 and its biggest is 24mm Worth checking the contents before you buy because this set is worse than useless.

Bob

imagejpg2_zpsce328d43.jpg

imagejpg1_zps896e82cc.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsd1567caf.jpg

Edited by aspenarb

That Bahco set onfoot has got is better than the one I bought for the lads. I got them this one Bahco S410 Socket Set 41 Piece 1/4in & 1/2in Drive - BAHS410 and its missing to many sizes of socket.No 11,15,18,20,22 and its biggest is 24mm Worth checking the contents before you buy because this set is worse than useless.

Bob

That's rubbish, mine has everything. Plus some impacts. They look very similar. I've added to mine with some halfords pro 1/2 drive torx and draper 1/2 Allen key bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk