New timberwolf 150

jack88

I love it when you guys discuss what should and shouldn't be on the new "TW150" as per this thread. If comments were fed back to manufacturers the same as were mentioned on forums such as Arbtalk, then you would start to see chippers and shredders coming to the market with features that you require to carry out your works.

As a TW dealer ,I for one am keen to feed back to the manufacturer the customer comments, whether they be good or bad.

I know that the new replacement has been developed with the aid of comments received from TW Owners.

The launch of this new sub750kg model will be fantastic so come along to the APF and see for yourself.

That's quite a remarkable statement, market research and product development is the responsibility of the manufacturer?

Numerous brands have failed to evolve and fallen by the wayside as a result.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I have mentioned, I have 6 x 6 and 6 x 12 chippers with the same motors and weight. With petrol engines theres little difference between the 25 and 30hp kohler for weight or cost.

Is not a differcult thing to do engineering wise and requires little additional weight in metal. Other companies such as Hansa, Bandit, Salsco etc have been doing it for over 10 years.

I get where your coming from. But I think its pure "you can have it in any colour as long as its black" in this industry.

it just annoys me greatly to see sub standard, outdated gear being sold for top dollar.

I think basically it boils down to keeping a machine sub 750kg that is the reason my self and every body else I knew that does or ran a 150 did so.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Timberwolf did a customer survey which I am sure that a number of you took part in, the findings of this survey have lead to Timberwolf addressing the issues raised with their own machines and those of some of their competitors.

One point raised was that 750kg is a huge issue and is only getting bigger, there are machines on the market that really struggle to come under this threshold and keep the productivity you expect!:driver::thumbdown:

Another point raised was bearing life, Timberwolf have addressed both these issues with the TW240TDHB(t) turntable machine, they have gone multiple steps further with the new "GAME CHANGING"chipper:thumbup:

Thanks for the interest in our soon to be launched chipper. I thought I'd take the opportunity to give you a bit of insight as to why Timberwolf has been a bit slow in reacting to market demands and why we are very excited to be showing this machine at the APF this year.

Timberwolf is a small business employing around 40 people. We design manufacture and final assemble all our own machines here in the UK. Because we have limited space we cannot undertake all the manufacture ourselves and we out-source the manufacture of certain components such as feed funnels. Altogether we deal with over 80 different suppliers in the UK who provide us with all the parts to make our current 17 models.

We are proud to be a British manufacturing company and we try really hard to give our customers what they want. The reason it can take a frustratingly long time to achieve this ultimately comes down to the fact we are relatively small when compared with Bandit, Vermeer etc plus we go to extraordinary lengths to ensure we are 100% compliant with everything we have to be compliant with so Timberwolf customers can buy their machines with confidence, unfortunately this takes up time and resources (both physical and monetary) As an example:

2008 - 2009 design of TW 190TVGTR

2009 - 2010 design of TW 350DHB(t)

2010 - 2012 design of sub 750kg shredder for French market

2011- 2013 design of our 1st sub 750kg turntable chipper with wide feed aperture to compete with the Greenmech Quadchip.

2011 - 2012 major undertaking to make sure all Timberwolf road tow equipment is fully compliant for Whole Vehicle Type Approval and Conformity of Production as it is a mandatory requirement that had to be complied with by October 2012. This is a major undertaking to do it properly and consequently slows up development of new models.

2011 - 2012 4000 questionnaires sent to TW owners and non owners asking for information and feed-back. Over 1000 are returned and we start prioritising on peoples wish list.

2012 - The beginnings of a new 6" chipper start to take shape

2013 - Investment in latest solid modelling program and the new chipper gathers pace as we exploit the design program to give us evermore performance whilst increasing design strength and integrity.

2013 - 2014 Extensive testing(by several real live tree surgeons!) and productionisation of new model ready for APF launch in September.

So to answer some of the questions that have been asked:

No it is not a polished 150! It was designed from scratch and shares less than 15 components (excluding nuts and bolts for the more pedantic amongst you!)

The 150DHB will remain in production until the market tells us not to build it! This machine came out in 1995 and represented superb chipping performance at an affordable price.

The law allowing young drivers only to tow 750kg maximum without taking an extra test made this machine ever more popular.

Despite what some manufacturers may tell you, it is incredibly hard to design a chipper that actually weighs less than 750kg and most don't bother even though they admit it is where the volume sales are.

By 2010 if you needed a chipper that weighed under 750kg then the most popular choice was still the TW 150DHB - Greenmech introduced the Quadchip and it was the first serious contender for the sub 750kg performance crown. To produce a 34hp Kubota powered chipper on a turntable that actually weighed under 750kg was an incredible achievement by Greenmech and we quickly set about catching them up with our

TW 240DHB. Overall the Quadchip did not impact on 150 sales much because in reality although people like the idea of a turntable, when it comes to parting with your own dosh not everyone can justify the extra cost. Greenmech soon realised this and a couple of years later introduced the Arborist 150 - once again they had managed to design a brand new machine that weighed under 750kg and although they hadn't managed to install the Kubota 1505 4 cylinder engine (to our knowledge Timberwolf is the only chipper manufacturer in the world able to fit this engine in sub 750kg chippers) they had none the less introduced another worthy contender! Now add into the mix the new Forst ST6 with the same V1505 engine as Timberwolf and you can see the competition is hotting up...

So, what is this new model all about? Unfortunately I can't give you the full low down because the official launch is not until September 1st (19th August if you pre registered your interest) but to give you a taste:

Same engine as the Forst ST6 and the TW 150DHB

Sub 750kg

Wider rollers and feed aperture than a Forst ST6 or GM Quad/Arborist

More throughput per hour than all machines mentioned above (we have done back to back testing).

Larger bearings than fitted in the Greenmechs or Forst mentioned above.

Greasable bearings!!!

Individual replaceable steel fans!!!

Double sided cutter blades

A rotor that is more than double the mass of the 150DHB rotor!!!

Oh and yes, there is a tracked version as well with all the requested features.

Love us or hate us, come see us at the APF and have a look at what we have been up to - there is more to this chipper than you think!

Regards

Richard Marshall

Partner

P.S - Geoff - yes we will be releasing an upgrade greasable bearing and metal fan kit for the 150DHB. More details at the APF show.

P.P.S - I.C Trees - love your persistence on the 'game changer' question - during the design of this new machine we have learnt a surprising amount; over the coming months as this machine is launched and people understand more about the choices they have, we believe this machine will become the catalyst of what we call a game changer. Sorry I can't be any clearer for you at the moment!

Thank you for the superb post Richard, ( Timberwolf Sales), that is great news with the greasable bearing & fan kit for the older 150's, I presume it will also go on the 125, not that it needs it.

I'm pro timberwolf, I think the sales speak for themselves, & these new changes are going to be very interesting in the chippper market.

Well done Timberwolf imo.:thumbup:

Good post Richard.

The sub 750kg thing is always attractive, and I think the 6" chipper will always be popular for several reasons.

One, a lot of us still want to stay below 3.5t with our vehicles, usually giving a payload of around 1t.

Two, a lot of us do logs, and chipping good cord isn't our thing.

Three, a lot of domestic jobs involve dragging brash from back to front down a side alley, so snedding needs doing anyway.

Four, even strong operators can only handle branches of a certain size without mechanical help.

People banging on about massive chippers aren't always the ones buying the things!

Good post Richard.

The sub 750kg thing is always attractive, and I think the 6" chipper will always be popular for several reasons.

One, a lot of us still want to stay below 3.5t with our vehicles, usually giving a payload of around 1t.

Three, a lot of domestic jobs involve dragging brash from back to front down a side alley, so snedding needs doing anyway.

Four, even strong operators can only handle branches of a certain size without mechanical help.

People banging on about massive chippers aren't always the ones buying the things!

Good post mate, level headed thinking.:thumbup1:

Good post Richard.

Yep, agree on all of the above.