arbtalkers arbtrucks

treewizard

10 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I am certain I had 12t on my old paper licence and when I updated it they added the 107 without any consultation.

It doesn’t actually affect me, but it’s still a bastards trick.

What if I’d being working for a firm running 7.5 tonners and big chippers?

Same, they chucked the 107 on my licence when I updated, slippery feckers.

I wonder if I sent them a copy of my old license if they would change it back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donnk said:

wrong

there is no limit on trailer weight limit on an old BE licence, the plated train weight of the tug is what defines it.

I didn't imply there was, as I said the gross weight, and as we were discussing mini artics this would be the gross combined weight, would be 7 tonnes on a B+E taken before 2013 IIRC, as after that the trailer is restricted to 3.5 tonnes.

As we have discussed before  it is feasible to have a trailer larger than 3.5 tonnes as long as the brakes are applied with the vehicles service brake, on the earlier licence, as long as the towing vehicle is less than 3.5 tonnes MAM. Finding such a vehicle seems to be the problem.

@Justme found a relevant advisory that stated the weight superimposed on the artic tractor did not contribute to the gross weight of the trailer for driving licence purposes but I'm not sure this is the same for the 1024 kg limit for operator's licence. Again once you exceed the 7.5 tonnes GCW you must always use the tachograph.

58 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Dunno but it seems advisable not to send an old licence back or at least photograph it as there have been many instances of entitlements being removed, probably by mistake.

IIRC the online checker restricts me to towing trailers of less than 3.5 tonnes but my B+E should not have such a restriction.

I'll need to renew my licence in a year because of my age and it will be interesting to see what comes back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Same, they chucked the 107 on my licence when I updated, slippery feckers.

I doubt it mate.

I’m pretty sure @Rich Rule had the same problem and they wouldn’t play ball.

Apparently if we had told them we didn’t want the 107 added we would have been ok.

openspaceman I would do a bit of checking with them before renewal. I would want to know exactly what was coming back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Dunno but it seems advisable not to send an old licence back or at least photograph it as there have been many instances of entitlements being removed, probably by mistake.

IIRC the online checker restricts me to towing trailers of less than 3.5 tonnes but my B+E should not have such a restriction.

I'll need to renew my licence in a year because of my age and it will be interesting to see what comes back.

i remember a motorcycle policeman losing his entitlement to ride  a motorcycle when he sent in his licence  in to DVLA,  he fought it and lost and then had to retake his test!

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I feared it and took precautions.  I photocopied my old license.  I called them and they assured me all my entitlements would remain.

i even took a screen shot of the DVLA website showing which entitlements I had.

It came back with the towing restrictions.  I raised it with their team, supervisor and then a final escalation, a letter advised from a transport consultant to the Chief Exec. 

Everytime, they just replied they had no record of me every sitting a trailer test or HGV.  Even though Inprovided them with full evidence, I explained the grandfather rights, their response was that after 97 it was blah blah blah.  I asked them to look at the entitlements from when I actually passed my test in January 92.

it was like talking a to a brick wall...  same response.  The only other thing left to do was to raise it with The Ombudsman IIRC.  

Nothing was going to change their decision, they were real arseholes.  It wasn’t like I could go to their competitor now was it?

Then I moved country.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

I feared it and took precautions.  I photocopied my old license.  I called them and they assured me all my entitlements would remain.

i even took a screen shot of the DVLA website showing which entitlements I had.

It came back with the towing restrictions.  I raised it with their team, supervisor and then a final escalation, a letter advised from a transport consultant to the Chief Exec. 

Everytime, they just replied they had no record of me every sitting a trailer test or HGV.  I explained the grandfather rights, their response was that after 97 it was blah blah blah.  I asked them to look at the entitlements from when I actually passed my test in January 92.

it was like talking a to a brick wall...  same response.  The only other thing left to do was to raise it with The Ombudsman IIRC.  

Nothing was going to change their decision, they were real arsehole.  It wasn’t like I could go to their competitor now was it?

Then I moved country.

yer not alone as this has happened to plenty of people apparently.

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I didn't imply there was, as I said the gross weight, and as we were discussing mini artics this would be the gross combined weight, would be 7 tonnes on a B+E taken before 2013 IIRC, as after that the trailer is restricted to 3.5 tonnes.

As we have discussed before  it is feasible to have a trailer larger than 3.5 tonnes as long as the brakes are applied with the vehicles service brake, on the earlier licence, as long as the towing vehicle is less than 3.5 tonnes MAM. Finding such a vehicle seems to be the problem.

@Justme found a relevant advisory that stated the weight superimposed on the artic tractor did not contribute to the gross weight of the trailer for driving licence purposes but I'm not sure this is the same for the 1024 kg limit for operator's licence. Again once you exceed the 7.5 tonnes GCW you must always use the tachograph.

nope.

cars done need a tacho.

its exploiting a loophole when downplating the vehicle keeps its train weight.

On 20/12/2019 at 14:10, donnk said:

nope.

cars done need a tacho.

its exploiting a loophole when downplating the vehicle keeps its train weight.

Er cars can need a tacho.

A 4x4 is a car a landrover is a car. Once coupled up to a trailer is the combined is over 23500kg you might be in to tacho use if its for work.

• Like 1