VOSA landy and tacho

firewoodman

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most tree surgeons work within a relatively short distance of their yards anyway so all this shouldn't be a problem unless you are contracting out over distance

I am sure I remember reading somewhere that if you are carrying out maintenance work like powerline clearing, you are exempt from this also. I maybe wrong!!

Thanks ROG for being there, I recommend only short sessions on Arbtalk for you, to preserve your sanity! Your eyes must bulge and roll around when you see how poorly traffic educated many of us working class welfare supporting tax payers are!

:thumbup1::biggrin:

Only here to help :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

While towing a trailer with a 7.5 tonner we was stopped at a VOSA checkpoint. The lorry was carrying a chipper and the trailer had a grinder.

We had received a £300 fixed penalty for not using the tacho, we was approx 25 kilometers from base.

From what I understand we are exempt even when towing a trailer within 50k of base, if you read the exemptions its says no tacho needed and does not mention towing a trailer.

I attended a VOSA seminar last week and asked both the traffic examiner and VOSA inspecter about this and neither new the answer which I thought was a bit strange as there are not many exemptions. However, I have since spoken with a T E and she has confirmed that when towing a trailer carrying your own tools in connection with your business within 50k of base and you do not drive more than four hours a day you do NOT need to use a tacho.

While towing a trailer with a 7.5 tonner we was stopped at a VOSA checkpoint. The lorry was carrying a chipper and the trailer had a grinder.

So the MAM was more than 7.5 tonnes because the weight of the trailer is added to the gross weight of the truck. The derogation for carrying tools for the driver's use is only for a MAM of less than 7.5 tonnes.

I have taken this to mean that as soon as I couple our 750kg chipper to the 7.5 tonne I must use the tachograph.

The suggestion that caravans should be subjected to tacho legislation is outrageous!

It would mean certain members of our democratic, multicultural society would be unable to move their homes without enduring yet more legislative red tape.

And my grandad couldn't block up the A5 twice a year as he drives up to Tryfan at 20mph

Caravaners are the most likely to exceed driver hours IMO (-;

Vosa diesel testing are working right at the side of me now, I made a point of making them move their operation out of my way, parked directly under the trees.

I'm going to ask him where his ship is as he has a load of gold stripes and loops on his shoulder like cruiser liner drivers

Edited by Dean Lofthouse