Average day rate for tree surgery

tree work isnt that dangerouse its some of the folk doing it that are dangerouse imo :biggrin:

Although true I have seen quite a few experienced and very good at their job blokes have near fatal injuries.

There are quite a lot of dangers in tree work, working at height from a rope and harness using a power tool that probably shouldnt really pass HS regulations hence the high potential for a fairly bad accident.

The groundie is not much better off, im not sure how many other professions require a person to stand extremely close to the drop zone of a potentially fatal piece of falling thing then process that through a machine that doesnt have some pedals,safety screen and a hand guard.

Anyway average day rate must be about £150 for a person that can carry out all kinds of tree surgery work.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are you working the other 2 days? Or is it just a part time business ?

Think what you could be making if you worked 5 days a week.

For some people I don't think its a case of working part time its a case of doing the work they have booked in, last week I did 3 days, this week I have 3 days, then I have a large job of 7 days then I have 3 days booked. This time of year is always poor for me, I look at my bookings for the last 10 years and May to September it drops off the from September it goes silly.

Hodge

For some people I don't think its a case of working part time its a case of doing the work they have booked in, last week I did 3 days, this week I have 3 days, then I have a large job of 7 days then I have 3 days booked. This time of year is always poor for me, I look at my bookings for the last 10 years and May to September it drops off the from September it goes silly.

Hodge

Yes I agree you can only do the work that is there and tree work is becoming more seasonal which is not great cash flow wise if you employing several people.

This thread comes up often on here as you might expect.. The interesting thing to me is that rates don't appear to have changed much in 5 years... But the cost of living has...

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/8384-article-research-how-much-do-you-charge-days-work.html

very true and look how many hits this post has had,its obviously something we are all interested in....why?....because to my mind for the physical effort and risk ,we are all under paid,the sad thing is whilst idiots are hell bent on undercutting each other, in desperation of securing work to pay the finance,on their machinery nothing will change .

try to reduce your outgoings( consider quality used machinery) and you can up your day rate a bit without the pressure of repayments, you wont lose as much work as you think you will and you will be a lot less stressed.

I think applying an annual price increase in line with the RPI is a good idea. It's what used to happen on a utility contract we used to have. But the main rule of thumb I work to is you should as an employer charge at least double what you pay your employee. This allows you to cover all expenses and have a reasonable profit left. But at the end of the day it's each to their own.

I think applying an annual price increase in line with the RPI is a good idea. It's what used to happen on a utility contract we used to have. But the main rule of thumb I work to is you should as an employer charge at least double what you pay your employee. This allows you to cover all expenses and have a reasonable profit left. But at the end of the day it's each to their own.

be nice if more people thought like you,(rather than continuing to shoot themselves in the foot) it would slowly improve things for everyone

This thread comes up often on here as you might expect.. The interesting thing to me is that rates don't appear to have changed much in 5 years... But the cost of living has...

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/8384-article-research-how-much-do-you-charge-days-work.html

Your right in what you say, the cost of living has gone up but, what you must take into account is many employed people have not had a pay rise in the last five years. So, trying to pass on price rises to the public (your customers) if you do domestic work ain't going to be easy.