Arb Trolley worth it or not!

mad matty

I'll have a ring round mate when I get a chance,Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi Matty when you find out the cost can you let me know please. The guys misplaced the pins this week. Still hoping that they'll turn up.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

• 1 month later...

I have finally bought one of these on the back of a return visit to a previous customer with a horrible sloping limited access garden. We worked there 4 or 5 years ago and I vowed that if we ever went back I would invest in a trolley to make the extraction easier!

Having never seen one up close in the flesh I have to admit to being rather disappointed in the quality/finish of the product when it was delivered from Jonesey. This isn't a cheap product, but I do understand the reasoning for the pricing as explained succinctly in an earlier post by RCO. However, the fact is that it carries a heavyweight price-tag for what is in effect a few sections of steel profile and a couple of wheels/tyres. As a result of the price I expected a well manufactured, nicely finished product but the reality is quite different unfortunately. The bolsters haven't even been cleaned up after cutting to length, the telescoping section is extremely loose in its socket, the paint/powdercoat finish is very poor, and the welding looks amateurish to say the least.

In fairness, none of this affects the way the trolley works. It is a well thought out, strong design and saved us a good deal of time dismantling and removing a mature Alder and clearing up various other pruning works. Now we have it I'm sure it will be put to use fairly regularly on other jobs, and it looks as though it will last for a while.

I have a couple of Stein bollards which are very well manufactured bits of kit - I can't help but feel that the manufacture/finish of the ArbTrolley lets it down in quite a big way (if I had seen one in the flesh before hand I would not have spent the money on it rightly or wrongly). But it does work!

Hi Monkey. It's pointless arguing about the Stein Trolley any more but suffice to say that:

1. It is very well made because it's more than strong enough for purpose.

2. If time was spent fabricating a precision engineered work of art, you would be even more upset about the retail price.

3. The stein Bollards have to be well finished because running ropes are in contact with them.

The fact is, it is designed and manufactured to move branches and logs efficiently (without bells & whistles) and there is nothing else on the market that is as good.

You will soon realise that you have spent your money wisely and will have no regrets.

Enjoy.

As a result of the price I expected a well manufactured, nicely finished product but the reality is quite different unfortunately. The bolsters haven't even been cleaned up after cutting to length, the telescoping section is extremely loose in its socket, the paint/powdercoat finish is very poor, and the welding looks amateurish to say the least.

Sounds like you might as well have made it yourself. At least I expect my welding to be amateurish :lol:

My guys are always nagging me about one of these (cheers, Spoons) but so many places we work have loads of steps or tight turns, I am still not convinced.

There are days it could be used but I do wonder if when your job has such a volume of brash, will there be room for the trolley? And if you hang it on the chipper thats your 750kg trailer weight exceeded.

Maybe there should be a Stein 'loan' system so us non-believers could borrow one and maybe see the light.

Anyone in Sussex willing to lend one for a day? Happy to swap beer tokens.

Anyone in Sussex willing to lend one for a day? Happy to swap beer tokens.

Yeah sure: I'm not in Sussex but not far from and regularly visit the top end of it.

In fact during September sometime I'll be spending a day looking at jobs in Burgess Hill, Storrington and Billingshurst. I can let you know the date and we'll arrange a meet.

Jon