is LOLER worth anything?

Tom D

I know, it makes sense for a forklift or a mewp where the operator may lack the technical knowledge to properly inspect the machine. But what climber is going to climb on a knackered or broken piece of kit that he is not happy with?

That's right! Who's best placed to check kit.... The person who's life depends on it! (So long as they are sufficiently knowledgable and critical)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loler is in my opinion is there to protect employees that are issued kit this is also covered under PUWER regs.

I have my own personal kit and it's not Loler certified and it's used for my own work.

I also have 15 years industry experience and 30 years rock climbing under my belt ...

I work with other freelance guys who's kit I would not climb on!

I'm also aware that in a rescue situation they would be using this kit to attempt to rescue me!

That's right! Who's best placed to check kit.... The person who's life depends on it! (So long as they are sufficiently knowledgable and critical)

Amen to that . To much red tape in the uk today .Especially for the every day Tree worker . I mean if petzl can push out goods that are not fit for purpose ? More to the point get away with it laughable not ! . Every climber I have ever known would not climb on any system if there was any doubt about its structual strength . Mechanical device's are a grey area within the realms of loler . My Cinch has failed me . luckily I had a figure of eight at the end of my line . I have also had a rope grab go tits up on me ? With a rope hitch you can see the wear and retire the item in good time .

Amen to that . To much red tape in the uk today .Especially for the every day Tree worker . I mean if petzl can push out goods that are not fit for purpose ? More to the point get away with it laughable not ! . Every climber I have ever known would not climb on any system if there was any doubt about its structual strength . Mechanical device's are a grey area within the realms of loler . My Cinch has failed me . luckily I had a figure of eight at the end of my line . I have also had a rope grab go tits up on me ? With a rope hitch you can see the wear and retire the item in good time .

How do you recon that then? Its either fit for or its not. Perfectly black and white

Admittedly I do loler but it is surprising how many times folk bring stuff and say I know this and that will fail

I truly have seen some horrors

Sometimes it's down to cash

Sometimes it's down to lack of knowledge.

If you were sending your stuff for loler most folk would take longer getting it ready to go than they would of spent checking it in the last yr.

And if you don't spend any time then that says it all

Why bother having mot on your car.

Why not keep your ropes 20 yrs and your harness even longer

how did the cinch fail?

Surely the observations of the op confirm that loler is doing it's job? .. ;)

But surely also we can take responsibility for our own actions with our own kit on our own terms ..

Totally different ballgame if you're getting handed the one set of kit and you use it or get sacked.

Admittedly I do loler but it is surprising how many times folk bring stuff and say I know this and that will fail

I truly have seen some horrors

Sometimes it's down to cash

Sometimes it's down to lack of knowledge.

If you were sending your stuff for loler most folk would take longer getting it ready to go than they would of spent checking it in the last yr.

And if you don't spend any time then that says it all

Why bother having mot on your car.

Why not keep your ropes 20 yrs and your harness even longer

MoT test, maybe a poor example but actually, maybe it's perfectly appropriate because just like an MoT test, a LOLER test is valid on the day it's done and unless the user checks are done before each use, you could just as easily be climbing on treacherously dangerous kit with an in date LOLER ticket.